Six Variations on a Swiss Song!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Variations on a Swiss Song!

The classical radio station here played Beethoven's Six Variations on a Swiss Song (for solo harp) and I was wondering if Beethoven originally wrote it for the harp? Did he write much for the harp? What's the date of this piece and the WoO or Hess number of it? It was very enjoyable.

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

This is the only information that I could find on this piece.

It's "Variations on a Swiss Air, WoO 64, for pianoforte or harp". Max Unger dates this piece around 1790 on the basis of an autograph, which he believes is in Beethoven's own hand, to be found in the Bodmer collection at the Beethovenhaus in Bonn. (from Thayer's "Life of Beethoven")

I haven't been able to find any other pieces composed by Beethoven for the harp. As far as I can see, this could be the only one. Who knows...

Comment

There is a beautiful "Romance", which is accompanied by a single harp among the four pieces of incidental music for the tragedy "Leonore Prohaska", WoO 96, written in 1815.
      And the only orchestral music to feature the harp (I think) is the adagio/andante from the ballet "The Creatures of Prometheus".
      And don't forget the "Harp" Quartet, Opus 74 which has caused a fair amount of confusion. I know of at least one listener who wanted to know where he could get hold of "a Beethoven piece for four harps"!
      I'll stop harping on about it now.
      Happy New Year!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

And don't forget the "Harp" Quartet, Opus 74 which has caused a fair amount of confusion. I know of at least one listener who wanted to know where he could get hold of "a Beethoven piece for four harps"!
        I'll stop harping on about it now.
        Happy New Year!

Michael
        How could I have forgotten this one Opus 74(imagine the palm of my hand hitting my forehead)!! It was written around 1809 I believe.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X