Day Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day Books

I have read excerpts from the day books in several books about B, and the are refenced innumerable times, but I have never had an opportunity to read a reproduction of one. Do they exist in a form that one could readily obtain, and so make one's own judgements about what they say about the man? Or are they perhaps so arcane that the non-schola would be unable to use them this way? Have any of you actually read one (some?) or are you in the same boat as me?
    Thanks, Gurn
    Regards,
    Gurn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    I have read excerpts from the day books in several books about B, and the are refenced innumerable times, but I have never had an opportunity to read a reproduction of one. Do they exist in a form that one could readily obtain, and so make one's own judgements about what they say about the man?
    Not to my knowledge Gurn. But I suppose there must be facsimilies of the 'books' available wherever the originals are kept, to scholars who ask politely!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Not to my knowledge Gurn. But I suppose there must be facsimilies of the 'books' available wherever the originals are kept, to scholars who ask politely!

Rod,
      Well, I suppose that I must once again succumb then to the perils of wilderness living, unless I happen upon an oasis of culture yet unforeseen. Darn the bad luck!
      Thanks, Gurn
      PS - Additionally, I must also suppose that I am only a 'scholar' in my own mind. Double darn! ;-))
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston View Post
        I have read excerpts from the day books in several books about B, and the are refenced innumerable times, but I have never had an opportunity to read a reproduction of one. Do they exist in a form that one could readily obtain, and so make one's own judgements about what they say about the man? Or are they perhaps so arcane that the non-schola would be unable to use them this way? Have any of you actually read one (some?) or are you in the same boat as me?
        Thanks, Gurn
        If you mean B's Tagebuch (diary), the complete English translation is in Maynard Solomon, Beethoven Essays, Harvard University Press, Cambridge Mass./London England (1988, pb 1990), p.233-297. A separate edition in either German or English including the full facsimile of the original has been published by Solomon and Brandenburg through the Beethovenhaus publishing firm (now Clarus Verlag).

If you mean the Konversations Hefte (the 138 surviving little booklets B used for his visitors to write down for him what the wanted to say to him, but which he couldn't understand because of his deafness), these have been published completely (in German) in 11 volumes between 1968 and 2001, edited by Karl-Heinz Köhler, Grita Herre and Dagmar Beck

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          If you mean B's Tagebuch (diary), the complete English translation is in Maynard Solomon, Beethoven Essays, Harvard University Press, Cambridge Mass./London England (1988, pb 1990), p.233-297. A separate edition in either German or English including the full facsimile of the original has been published by Solomon and Brandenburg through the Beethovenhaus publishing firm (now Clarus Verlag).
          I just wrote a blog entry about B's Tagebuch, there's a link at the bottom to most pages of the Solomon translation from google books.

http://lvbandmore.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post
            I just wrote a blog entry about B's Tagebuch, there's a link at the bottom to most pages of the Solomon translation from google books.

Thank you for that very interesting link

Comment

Originally posted by djmomo17 View Post

Love your comments - more please!!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
              X