Beethoven's Ninth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Ninth

I'm doing some research on the psychological effects that the ninth symphony had on the audience at its premiere as well as how influential it was for other classical music composers. I am interested in knowing about people's opinion as far as comparing this symphony's effect to any other event in more modern times. Even if it is not in classical music, what would you be able to compare it to?

Originally posted by anabelrc:
    I'm doing some research on the psychological effects that the ninth symphony had on the audience at its premiere as well as how influential it was for other classical music composers. I am interested in knowing about people's opinion as far as comparing this symphony's effect to any other event in more modern times. Even if it is not in classical music, what would you be able to compare it to?
    Andrea can probably answer this better, with her wealth of books on Beethoven, but I remember reading that the premiere of the Ninth was a rather confused affair, with Beethoven attempting to conduct although totally deaf. He didn't realize the symphony had ended and had to be turned around by someone to acknowledge the applause.

I think it took awhile for this symphony to be understood.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

It did take a while for this Masterpiece to be appreciated. For one thing critics thought it to be too long, which actually it was compared to others written during that time and before. In regards to modern times it was the music chosen to play as they were tearing down the Berlin Wall and it is the 'Song of the Millennium'. I think that speaks volumns of how we've grown to appreciate this great music.

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        It did take a while for this Masterpiece to be appreciated. For one thing critics thought it to be too long, which actually it was compared to others written during that time and before. In regards to modern times it was the music chosen to play as they were tearing down the Berlin Wall and it is the 'Song of the Millennium'. I think that speaks volumns of how we've grown to appreciate this great music.

Joy
        I think that is a very good contemporary event to compare it to Joy - the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe really did invoke the spirit of Beethoven's 9th.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

From what I have read about the Ninth's premiere, it was apparently touched by Divinity. Not only the audience but even the critics were completely won over, according to comments printed with the Albert Wier edition of the scores (orig. published by Harcourt, Brace and Co. in 1935). This was in stark contrast to earlier Beethoven premieres, where critical comment was unfavorable at best and devastating at worst.

BTW, it was the contralto soloist, Caroline Unger, who turned Beethoven around so he could see the audience cheering, according to Harold Schonberg's book The Great Conductors.

Comment

Thanks everyone for you opinions. I too have read mixed accounts on the Ninth's premiere.It's difficult to tell exactly what happened but certainly in the longer run the symphony had a great impact in people's minds as well as in other composers. I like Joy's comparison to the fall of Berlin's wall because it was a liberation from oppression, and to me Beethoven's intent in this symphony was something of a spiritual liberation anda search for something greater.

I happened to be in Moscow in 1993, right at the decline of communism over there and even though i was very young, i remember my old violin teacher used to say that Shostakovich had always represented the voices of the oppresed people and how his compositions, (personally i think of the Babi-Yar and Leningrad Symphonies) even though controlled by the government, always sought to voice the common people's worries and sufferings. I believe Beethoven in many ways tried to free himself and his audience through music, and this is why he became so influential to generations of composers after him. Do you believe Shostakovich had a similar effect, or is this something only Russian people see?

Comment

What Beethoven did with the symphony, to me is what the govt. did with the internet. Here someone took communication to a new level 30 years ago, and look at the changes that have occurred from its inception. Our commerce has been completely changed, and our knowledge has expanded thanks to the opportunites of the internet. This bulletin board would not be here today without it, enabling so many people to share their thoughts with one another

Comment

When i heard Bethoven symphony,well i did not associate with any event .But i felt i were a conductor standing the middle of great orchestras and waving my hand and enjoying !!!!!!I felt a since of divinity in the overture attched with that symphony

Comment

Originally posted by hikicha:
                  When i heard Bethoven symphony,well i did not associate with any event .But i felt i were a conductor standing the middle of great orchestras and waving my hand and enjoying !!!!!!I felt a since of divinity in the overture attched with that symphony
                  I agree with you, Hikicha, about the divinity bit. It's almost like having a religious experience listening to this Symphony. IMHO it's the best Symphony around!

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone else can share what emotions they feel when hearing the Ninth Symphony preformed live. I had the opportunity to hear it several years ago preformed in an old, old church (it held over 1000 people)by a local symphony and 4 area collage chiors and they did a pnenomenal job. I was literally shaking at the end. Since then I have become a die-hard Beethoven lover. I will be hearing the Ninth preformed live again this January by the Grand Rapids Symphony Orchesta (a great orchestra for a small city) and am hoping it will have the same effect. My seats are very close to the stage (last time I sat far away). Even now when I listen to it I never make it to the end without tearing up. It is so overpowering but I am so looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by heidi:
                      I'm wondering if anyone else can share what emotions they feel when hearing the Ninth Symphony preformed live. I had the opportunity to hear it several years ago preformed in an old, old church (it held over 1000 people)by a local symphony and 4 area collage chiors and they did a pnenomenal job. I was literally shaking at the end. Since then I have become a die-hard Beethoven lover. I will be hearing the Ninth preformed live again this January by the Grand Rapids Symphony Orchesta (a great orchestra for a small city) and am hoping it will have the same effect. My seats are very close to the stage (last time I sat far away). Even now when I listen to it I never make it to the end without tearing up. It is so overpowering but I am so looking forward to it.
                      That must have been an extraordinary experience to hear this performed in a small church. How wonderful. Last year I went to a concert of the 9th performed by The Phoenix Symphony and also attended one a few years ago. Same symphony, different soloists. Both
                      were excellent. I never get tired of hearing this or seeing it in person. I'm ready to go again when they'll perform it again, I'll go. It is an overpowering experience and emotional. Speaking of tearing up, last year when I went there was a lady behind me who was actually crying, handerkerchief and all, and even a couple of men had the Kleenex out. Like you, I had a seat in the back and this last time sat right in front (4th row). I liked both because the seat in the back inabled me to see the soloists better but the seat in the front was excellent for viewing the instruments and conductor more up close and personal. Which vantage point did you enjoy the most?

Joy

Comment

I haven't gone to my second performance yet (in Jan.) but I'm sure I'll like being much closer. If I had my way I'd be right up on the stage in the orchestra or chior, even though I do not sing or play an instrument. I'm sure anyone who has been a part of preforming this symphony has had to feel a great deal of emotions.

Comment

Working...
                        X