Beethoven's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Day

My classic radio station has had Beethoven concerts on all week gearing up, I believe, for his birthday on Dec. 16th. Songs like
    Leonore#3; Bagatelles Opus 33; String Quartet#6; Violin Sonata#6; Variations on a Theme by Handel; String Quartet#11; March for Military Music in C; Concerto for violin, violincello, & piano in C Major, among many more were played this week. I wonder how many other stations or TV programs (here they will present "Triumph Over Adversity" & "The Life of Beethoven"), there will be for his birthday? Any coming your way?

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    My classic radio station has had Beethoven concerts on all week gearing up, I believe, for his birthday on Dec. 16th. Songs like
    Leonore#3; Bagatelles Opus 33; String Quartet#6; Violin Sonata#6; Variations on a Theme by Handel; String Quartet#11; March for Military Music in C; Concerto for violin, violincello, & piano in C Major, among many more were played this week. I wonder how many other stations or TV programs (here they will present "Triumph Over Adversity" & "The Life of Beethoven"), there will be for his birthday? Any coming your way?

Joy
    Joy, does your station broadcast on the internet?

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:

It does. Here's the address:
      http://kbaq.org/

Just click on 'Listen Live'.

Does your station play a lot of Beethoven?

Joy

Comment

Oh, another thing, Chaszz, you might want to click on 'Program Schedule' scroll down to 5:00pm and then click on 'Performance Today' and you can check the concerts for that day. This is where most of the Beethoven concerts come from. The 'playlist' will list the time and songs that K-Baq plays all day and does have Beethoven strewn throughout, but PT is where the concerts come from.

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited December 06, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited December 06, 2002).]

Comment

The piano sonata no.8 in C minor with Alfred Brendal and the "Pastorale" with Gunter Ward and the North German Radio Symphony Orchestra are only two of the selections on this morning at http//cbc.ca/radiotwo/.This station has many great classical music programs and features,tomorrow the Saturday Afternoon Opera is a production of Fidelio from the Met.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            The piano sonata no.8 in C minor with Alfred Brendal and the "Pastorale" with Gunter Ward and the North German Radio Symphony Orchestra are only two of the selections on this morning at http//cbc.ca/radiotwo/.This station has many great classical music programs and features,tomorrow the Saturday Afternoon Opera is a production of Fidelio from the Met.
            I have heard the recording of Alfred Brendel's PS#8. We have lots of historical performances too.
            You must be getting the same broadcast we are on my station K-Baq. Today they are broadcasting 'Fidelio' also from The Met at 11:30am Phoenix time. Chaszz, you might be interested in listening to this, maybe it's a recording of the performance you went to recently.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:

I was able to catch a small part of Fidelio. What I heard was absolutely delightful--more so than I had remembered from previous listenings to the opera.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:

I was able to catch a small part of Fidelio. What I heard was absolutely delightful--more so than I had remembered from previous listenings to the opera.
                I listened to the entire glorious production yesterday. Absolutely wonderful! One of the best I have heard from previous recordings too. I also enjoyed the commentary before and during intermission.

Joy

Comment

It does. Here's the address:
                  http://kbaq.org/

Does your station play a lot of Beethoven?

Joy
                  My local station, WQXR-FM in N.Y. City, plays all the great composers plus a lot of worthwhile out-of-the-way music that one would not hear otherwise, like Michael Haydn, Antonio Salieri, Luigi Bocherini, etc; the last two in goodly amounts. It's on the web at www.wqxr.com, including complete current and past playlists.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

My local station, WQXR-FM in N.Y. City, plays all the great composers plus a lot of worthwhile out-of-the-way music that one would not hear otherwise, like Michael Haydn, Antonio Salieri, Luigi Bocherini, etc; the last two in goodly amounts. It's on the web at www.wqxr.com, including complete current and past playlists.

Sounds good. Thanks Chaszz! By the Way, Chaszz, did you get to hear Fidelio on the radio Sat.? Excellent! It's no wonder you enjoyed it so much.

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited December 09, 2002).]

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks Chaszz! By the Way, Chaszz, did you get to hear Fidelio on the radio Sat.? Excellent! It's no wonder you enjoyed it so much.

Comment

Yes thanks, Joy, I did hear most of it, on that same station. It was wonderful to hear it again.

Comment

I can't believe it! I live in the Beethoven capital of the world, Vienna, Austria, and the only classical music station we have here is playing only one Beethoven composition on 16 December! I looked up the radio station's program schedule of 16 Dec. and this is the one and only Beethoven listing:

Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)
                          SINFONIE NR. 8 IN F-DUR OP. 93
                          00:55 1. SATZ: ALLEGRO VIVACE E CON BRIO
                          01:03 2. SATZ: ALLEGRETTO SCHERZANDO
                          01:07 3. SATZ: TEMPO DI MENUETTO
                          01:11 4. SATZ: ALLEGRO VIVACE
                          Tonhalle Orchestra ZurichLeitung: Zinman, David
                          Arte Nova Classics 74321 56341-2

Notice the time it is being played; midnight! So it is the first piece they will play on 16 Dec. but give me a break! How can Radio Stephansdom do this to me? They are playing plenty of Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, J. Strauss and even Salieri on this day but only Beethoven's Sym.#8! How sad indeed! I'll have to play some of my Beethoven compositions to make up for this lack of respect...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
                            I can't believe it! I live in the Beethoven capital of the world, Vienna, Austria, and the only classical music station we have here is playing only one Beethoven composition on 16 December! I looked up the radio station's program schedule of 16 Dec. and this is the one and only Beethoven listing:

Beethoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)
                            SINFONIE NR. 8 IN F-DUR OP. 93
                            00:55 1. SATZ: ALLEGRO VIVACE E CON BRIO
                            01:03 2. SATZ: ALLEGRETTO SCHERZANDO
                            01:07 3. SATZ: TEMPO DI MENUETTO
                            01:11 4. SATZ: ALLEGRO VIVACE
                            Tonhalle Orchestra ZurichLeitung: Zinman, David
                            Arte Nova Classics 74321 56341-2

Notice the time it is being played; midnight! So it is the first piece they will play on 16 Dec. but give me a break! How can Radio Stephansdom do this to me? They are playing plenty of Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, J. Strauss and even Salieri on this day but only Beethoven's Sym.#8! How sad indeed! I'll have to play some of my Beethoven compositions to make up for this lack of respect...
                            I believe that Beethoven felt the Viennese gave him the same lack of respect during his lifetime.

Comment

Here, at this time of year, they're playing a LOT of Christmas songs, lots on the radio and lots of Christmas concerts around the Valley, but, they still seem to stick in a Beethoven quite often.

Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X