A Clockwork Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
    I'm not really sure if there is any relationship between the music choices in SK's other films. I think it's fair to say he had a good ear for the dramatic aspects of music that would appeal to people at all levels. 2001 was indeed first-rate, for not the least reason that Thus Spake Zarathustra (sic) is a "get under the skin" kind of tune that subliminally grabs people and focuses their attention. Also the anti-tech message is there for the taking (HAL, bump each letter up 1 = IBM!!!) The tone of Dave's voice when he keeps repeating "Close the pod-bay door, HAL" is haunting, remaining in your mind long after you see it, the pleading with technology gone wild to not kill him off. All in all, a masterful effort, IMHO. Yes, even though I never considered that I am a Kubrick fan, thinking about this stuff brought home to me how much I enjoyed the majority of his efforts. Thanks for the memory,
    Gurn
    Very true. Reading your post makes me want to rent that movie and see it all over again! I can't hear Strauss's 'Blue Danube' (or 'Thus Spake Zarathustra', the opening of the movie is unforgettable) without thinking of 2001!!
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Interesting point. But it is not made clear in the film if, and if so why, the computer had ideas to wipe out the crew at this early stage of the movie, and that the part failure episode was part of HALs plans in this respect.

Maybe because Hal was a manical, power hungry
      machine (with a mind of his own perhaps)! Ha!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Interesting point. But it is not made clear in the film if, and if so why, the computer had ideas to wipe out the crew at this early stage of the movie, and that the part failure episode was part of HALs plans in this respect.
        The nagging feeling I get is that there really wasn't a psychological evaluation scheduled and that HAL was scoping out his prey. Though I suppose it's possible that HAL just got too zealous about protecting the interests of the mission. The most memorable part of the film for me was HAL's voice when singing the "Daisy Bell."

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
          The nagging feeling I get is that there really wasn't a psychological evaluation scheduled and that HAL was scoping out his prey. Though I suppose it's possible that HAL just got too zealous about protecting the interests of the mission. The most memorable part of the film for me was HAL's voice when singing the "Daisy Bell."
          An interesting point also is that '2001' is part of a long tradition in which robots/computers are depicted as eventually becoming hostile to humans. Just about the only exception to this mindset is the epic series of novels by Isaac Asimov, where robots partner benevolently with humans long into the future.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
            Can you give a few more details about this music and composer.

I believe that Ligeti, born somewhere in the '30's (as I recall--it's been awhile since I studied some of his music), is still alive. Seems that he was involved and suppressed during the Hungarian uprising ('56?). Some of his music is very experimental, such as Adventures and New Adventures, works for solo vocalist. His best known pieces are the Requiem and Lux Aeterna. The Kyrie of the Requiem is much like Lux Aeterna. I'm quite fond of his orchestral work Lontano--it is similar in style to Lux Aeterna.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin:
              Regardless of the computers motivation, which the crew would not be aware of, it was the astronaughts motivation to shut down most of the computers operations as the result of a seemingly trivial error that bugs me. If I shut down my humble office Mac every time a software error occured it would never be on!

On a musical note I can tollerate J Strauss quite easily in this film, but the Vienna new year concert of Strauss family music shown on TV every year is an act of supreme aural and visual torture. Considering the consistant banality of this other music one wonders if someone else composed the Blue Danube?

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited December 13, 2002).]
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

On a musical note I can tollerate J Strauss quite easily in this film, but the Vienna new year concert of Strauss family music shown on TV every year is an act of supreme aural and visual torture. Considering the consistant banality of this other music one wonders if someone else composed the Blue Danube?

I'd much rather listen to the Moldau.

Comment

On the other hand, someone remind me who was Hitler's favourite composer again....?!

Wagner
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    Wagner
                    You don't say! I read only yesterday that Hitler had an engaging relationship with the then existant Wagner family. Probably popped in for tea inbetween receiving visits from certain members of the 'English' royal family!

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                    X