X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[quote]Originally posted by spaceray:
    [b]
    Originally posted by Rod:
    Have have lost count of how many I have bought, but how many I play is much less (about 300) for I have a select er.. selection of the best disks and it is only these that I play, in strict order. The others gather dust until I find someone to give them away to.

Are they all Beethoven and Handel?I bet theres some surprises in your collection!

AC/DC !!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Ah this perhaps explains the tinnitus.
      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Peter,
        you are mean! AC/DC ! <whazzat??> I am certain Rod does not even know what that is <cheeky> but maybe he has tucked away a copy of John Coltrane's Ascension or Om and anxiously avoids to show anyone

Me, i would not hide it, proud to know it, "Ascension" is great! One of the best free jazz performances ever made, IMO, but i am not alone. I listened very often to it, maybe almost as often as to the Hammerklavier sonata or SQ op.59/2 and 59/3...

spaceray,
        if you want a fancy vinyl turntable, i might have something for you, atleast advice, but i also could build you one ... would cost you an arm and a leg
        Oh, and do not let anyone talk you out of the last 4 Strauss songs sung by Schwarzkopf. You'll be stunned about sonics and performance as well.

"Needle": Better buy a new phono cartridge, the probability you find the proper replacement stylus plug-in is low.
        Only a few moving magnet cartridges with replaceable stylus have remained to be avaiable on the market
        Moreover, technical advancements in the cartridge area were so huge in the recent past that replacing a stylus of an older cartridge is wasted money, better buy a complete new cartridge for that money. Today, more and more cartridges come without replaceable stylus.
        Problem with that: you have to mount the new cartridge and then adjust it properly. Visit the diyAudio forum and ask there if you need more advice, this topic certainly does not fit in here in the detail needed.

Why not buy a complete new turntable, a Rega for instance, with everything pre-aligned?

------------------
        Greets,
        Bernhard
        Greets,
        Bernhard

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
          Are they all Beethoven and Handel?I bet theres some surprises in your collection!

[/B]
          This is B and H alone, more H than B. The surprises are in addition and include AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Kate Bush, The Who, Brian Ferry, Chuck Berry, The Monkees, Derek & Clive.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            This is B and H alone, more H than B. The surprises are in addition and include AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Kate Bush, The Who, Brian Ferry, Chuck Berry, The Monkees, Derek & Clive.

I have a few of those myself! Mostly collecting only dust now I'm afraid.

Joy
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by dice45:
              Peter,
              you are mean! AC/DC ! <whazzat??> I am certain Rod does not even know what that is <cheeky> but maybe he has tucked away a copy of John Coltrane's Ascension or Om and anxiously avoids to show anyone

Me, i would not hide it, proud to know it, "Ascension" is great! One of the best free jazz performances ever made, IMO, but i am not alone. I listened very often to it, maybe almost as often as to the Hammerklavier sonata or SQ op.59/2 and 59/3...

spaceray,
              if you want a fancy vinyl turntable, i might have something for you, atleast advice, but i also could build you one ... would cost you an arm and a leg
              Oh, and do not let anyone talk you out of the last 4 Strauss songs sung by Schwarzkopf. You'll be stunned about sonics and performance as well.

"Needle": Better buy a new phono cartridge, the probability you find the proper replacement stylus plug-in is low.
              Only a few moving magnet cartridges with replaceable stylus have remained to be avaiable on the market
              Moreover, technical advancements in the cartridge area were so huge in the recent past that replacing a stylus of an older cartridge is wasted money, better buy a complete new cartridge for that money. Today, more and more cartridges come without replaceable stylus.
              Problem with that: you have to mount the new cartridge and then adjust it properly. Visit the diyAudio forum and ask there if you need more advice, this topic certainly does not fit in here in the detail needed.

Why not buy a complete new turntable, a Rega for instance, with everything pre-aligned?

You are quite right dice45,replacement of the turntable is the most prudent action,and good heavens they are expensive meanwhile as we wait for Santa's arrival we did get the old Phillips (I'm sorry I don't know the model)up and running.The sound is different from the C D player I wish I could put it into words let me say that CDs sound in the room with you and vinyl sounds set apart some how.What great fun to listen to my old records again ,I do have John Coltrane but early John with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones playing that wild version of "My favorite things"where McCoys piano playing sounds more like a pile driver than a human touch.

Why do you say "don't let any one talk me out of Strauss'four last songs "Are they likely to?
              If Rod can listen to AC/DC I should be allowed to listen to Richard Strauss .(I'm teasing of course)I have only heard Jessy Normans' version of this music but am eager to hear Elizabeth I do have a Schubert and Brahams
              CD of hers that I have enjoyed.
              "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

spaceray,
                misexpressed myself, apologize.
                you shall keep that Schwarzkopf/Strauss record by any means and refuse to sell it to anyone asking.
                This is a sensational performance and, as recording, it is as sensational.
                It has been re-issued as audiophile 180gr vinyl and this means there is considerable demand for it.

Of course you should listen to it.

The Coltrane recording you mention is most probably fromthe "My favourite things" album. Tyner's is sounding very natural on a good TT yet it is quite percussive. My father (very Mozart-focused) loathed if i played it, he considered it not as being worth to be called piano playing. Then ... i one day played Thelonious Monk. I still am ROTFLMAO remembering his scared face expression ... and later he got treated with Cecil Taylor made him run and seek for hide.

"My Favourite Things" is among Coltranes best albums (make that most influential and stylistically balanced and settled)and is in one row with Blue Train, Giant Steps, Africa Brass, A Love Supreme, Ascension, Expression. Just for the case you wonder which Coltrane albums to buy next. All are worth buying, i have them all with 2 or 3 exceptions.

------------------
                Greets,
                Bernhard
                Greets,
                Bernhard

Comment

Later John Coltrane is too much for me,I read a scholarly biography that said John was stoned out of his mind on all his later recordings ,do you believe this is true?I'm not sure everything written about this musician is correct.
                  I'm fasinated also by piano player Ahmad Jamal's earlier work what a wonderful sound.
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Try Lyubimov. He is agenius on pianoforte

Originally posted by Lucy:
                    I need a recording of the Pathetique sonata on a period instrument, but I can't seem to find one anywhere ... can anyone help?

Thanks.
                    Juhana Vartiainen

Comment

spaceray,
                      dunno what this biographer said and why, and honestly, i don't car about naysayers and downtalkers. Because Trane was doing high-energy playing on most of his late records, and because the scholar biographer does not grasp it, Trane is stoned. Drugged. Right, must be that way.

Some factoids.
                      Trane was addicted to alcohole and heroine (dunno which one is the more evil drug) until about 1956 and then, i guess he was nudged by Miles Davis who was his leader back then, decided to clean the stuff out, he did not any therapy, he did it on his own, cold turkey. Since then he is reported to have remained clean except from one drug: his own music. He is reported to have refused to take any drugs since he did the clean-out.
                      Oh, before i forget it, he was addicted to food, eating. Too much.
                      His transcriber Andrew White has the opinion that Trane knew exactly what he was doing also on the late recordings.

Later Coltrane is maybe not what i would recommend to start with. But his energy level is already very high on his earlier recordings. So if you find yourself with Coltrane and his emotional message, if you like him, why not try to work yourself thru his opus in a chronologic order? He was under permanent development and so will you be as a listener. And, don't give up on the 1st try, listen to it a few times to see if you find the entrance door Who knows, you may find your self listening to "Ascension" one day? Or to the extremly calm and balanced last recording called "Expression".

No matter how wild he plays, how awfully he pulls the trigger, i always find his music positive, constructive, healing. Yes, healing. And ultimately honest.

BTW, Trane was one of the last to fully join the Free Jazz movement. He slowly grew into it, did intentionally so, and when he arrived, he delivered one masterpiece after the other. One outstanding masterpiece on the way is "A Love Supreme" and his full arrival is marked by "Ascension"

I have some acquaintants who followed my advice "don't give up on the 1st try, listen to it a few times to see if you find the entrance door" and are grateful for it, noone of them would wanted to have missed it. Free Jazz is like 20th century music, there are a lot of new things we did not learn to appreciate and be comfortable with as youngsters and now we have to give us a bit time to grow into it.

------------------
                      Greets,
                      Bernhard
                      Greets,
                      Bernhard

Comment

Working...
                      X