Can anyone help me find this recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help me find this recording?

I need a recording of the Pathetique sonata on a period instrument, but I can't seem to find one anywhere ... can anyone help?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Lucy:
    I need a recording of the Pathetique sonata on a period instrument, but I can't seem to find one anywhere ... can anyone help?

Thanks.
    You're a little unlucky Lucy, some time ago I posted links to my mp3s of all 3 movements played on a Graf of 1824 similar to the one owned by Beethoven. I have two further recordings using Walter pianos from the 1790's, but such CDs are extremely difficult to find these days. For what purpose do you require this recording?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      You're a little unlucky Lucy, some time ago I posted links to my mp3s of all 3 movements played on a Graf of 1824 similar to the one owned by Beethoven. I have two further recordings using Walter pianos from the 1790's, but such CDs are extremely difficult to find these days. For what purpose do you require this recording?

If I'm not wrong, the Pathetique can be downloaded free from www.mp3.com played by Paul Badura Skoda in a period piano, or at least that's what you said Rod, some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        If I'm not wrong, the Pathetique can be downloaded free from www.mp3.com played by Paul Badura Skoda in a period piano, or at least that's what you said Rod, some time ago.

It was not me who discovered this link, but I'm not sure if it's still there. Also I doubt if the whole movements were on offer free. If Lucy gives me more info I may be able to do something for her.

------------------

Comment

Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I'm writing a Performance Investigation for my A level Music, in which I have to compare two or three performances of one piece of music on the instrument I'll be performing on (piano, obviously ^_~) I don't have to have a recording on a period instrument but it would provide more interesting opportunities for comparison if I did.

My teacher seems to think Melvyn Tan would have done a recording on a period instrument ... any thoughts?

And can anyone think of a pianist who would play the sonata in a very restrained classical style that I can get a recording of?

Again thank you all for taking the time to help me

Comment

Thank you so much for trying to help me out. I'm writing a Performance Investigation for my A level Music, in which I have to compare two or three performances of one piece of music on the instrument I'll be performing on (piano, obviously ^_~) I don't have to have a recording on a period instrument but it would provide more interesting opportunities for comparison if I did.

My teacher seems to think Melvyn Tan would have done a recording on a period instrument ... any thoughts?

And can anyone think of a pianist who would play the sonata in a very restrained classical style that I can get a recording of?

Again thank you all for taking the time to help me
            Tan has done a few Beethoven recordings on Period instruments, with varying degrees of success performance wise, but I don't think he has recorded the Pathetique. I could provide you some links to my mp3s directly if you have means of recording them onto CD for your project, or perhaps just playing them direct from the computer will suffice?

Rod

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 15, 2002).]

Comment

I just noticed this part of your post - from contemporary accounts I don't think Beethoven's performance of this piece could be described as 'restrained', far from it, unlike many performances on CD I've heard which are far too 'dainty'.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 16, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                It was not me who discovered this link, but I'm not sure if it's still there. Also I doubt if the whole movements were on offer free. If Lucy gives me more info I may be able to do something for her.

The link is still there with the complete sonata, but I don't know if it's a period piano or what.

Comment

Lucy,
                  if you can lay your hands on a Badura-Skoda recording of the Pathetique, go for it.
                  The guy digs Beethoven. And the period recordings are fancy, just gorgeous.
                  Greets,
                  Bernhard

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:

Here is the link to the page at mp3.com. I think you have to register to hear the files:
                    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/117/...s_beethov.html

Considering I already have all of these cds I haven't bothered to do this, but I recommend that others do.

------------------

Comment

Just how many CDs do you actually have Rod?
                      For Christmas this year we are going to get a turn table it has been many years since I have heard my vinyl recordings and I recently found a cashe of Classical albums that are in pristine condition at the local charity shop.Can't wait to hear them.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                        For Christmas this year we are going to get a turn table it has been many years since I have heard my vinyl recordings and I recently found a cashe of Classical albums that are in pristine condition at the local charity shop.Can't wait to hear them.
                        Have have lost count of how many I have bought, but how many I play is much less (about 300) for I have a select er.. selection of the best disks and it is only these that I play, in strict order. The others gather dust until I find someone to give them away to.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                          Lucky that you found a turn table. They are getting harder and harder to find, although I have seen some in the Christmas catalogs this year. Once in a great while I bring out my vinyl collection but haven't for quite a while. What composers and music did you find at your local shop? There's a shop here that has a Brahm's vinyl collection I've had my eye on.
                          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

The charity shop vinyl albums were many and varied ,Faure's requiem ,Anna Moffo singing a variety of Italian Arias and Elizabeth Schwarzkope and George Szell's Four Last Songs by R Strauss looked the most pristine,of course there was Beethoven ,I think it was Sonatas but I didn't pay much attention as it was so worn ,dogeared and scratched I thought it would be unplayable.
                            This of course stands to reason.Unplayed Beethoven vinyl will be rare as hens teeth or very dearI should think.The most difficult aspect of getting the turntable going again has been finding a new needle however it seems that this old technology is popular again thanks perhaps to the internet,as this is how we found a replacement.
                            "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rod:
                              [B] Have have lost count of how many I have bought, but how many I play is much less (about 300) for I have a select er.. selection of the best disks and it is only these that I play, in strict order. The others gather dust until I find someone to give them away to.

Are they all Beethoven and Handel?I bet theres some surprises in your collection!

"Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                              X