Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important Date!

Just a little music history here:

December 8, 1813 - Almost totally deaf, Ludwig van Beethoven conducts the premiere of his Symphony No. 7 in a benefit concert at the University of Vienna.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

I always wondered who was supossed to receive the benefit or charity of these 'Benefit concerts'. The poor people? I know this is a stupid question.

Comment

I just finished my private celebration by listening to two renditions, Van Karajan/BPO 1963 and Carlos Kleiber/VPO. The Kleiber is especially to my liking, "full-tilt bozo" as we used to describe it back in the fabulous '60's! Oh, the 'Benefit' part was for the composer. Mozart made his meager living that way, Ludwig too. They would rent the hall, organize and promote, and pocket the proceeds. Amazing in what relative disregard that composers were held in that "Golden Age".
      Regards, Gurn
      Regards,
      Gurn
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      That's my opinion, I may be wrong.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gurn Blanston:
        I just finished my private celebration by listening to two renditions, Van Karajan/BPO 1963 and Carlos Kleiber/VPO. The Kleiber is especially to my liking, "full-tilt bozo" as we used to describe it back in the fabulous '60's! Oh, the 'Benefit' part was for the composer. Mozart made his meager living that way, Ludwig too. They would rent the hall, organize and promote, and pocket the proceeds. Amazing in what relative disregard that composers were held in that "Golden Age".
        Regards, Gurn
        As I've mentioned before on this site, Beethoven also did well by publication and sales of his works to the middle classes. I believe he was the first great composer to do this successfully.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Regards, Gurn
          I also have the Carlos Kleiber Cd '7th Symphony' and the '5th Symphony'. Excellent!
          I think, also, that Beethoven (and probably others) used to sell their own tickets to their concerts right out of their own homes where people would come up to their door and buy the tickets from the artist himself. Can you imagine buying a ticket from any of the rock stars now right out of their own home? Seems incredible.

Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
            As I've mentioned before on this site, Beethoven also did well by publication and sales of his works to the middle classes. I believe he was the first great composer to do this successfully.

Chaszz,
            Yes, our man was apparently a tireless self-promoter, and the only real difference between him and Mozart (re Joy's post) is that Beethoven was actually successful at it, whereas poor Wolfgang never managed to get over the top. Man, Don King would have had a field day back then, because the talent in need of promotion back then was staggering! ;-))
            Gurn
            Regards,
            Gurn
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              I also have the Carlos Kleiber Cd '7th Symphony' and the '5th Symphony'. Excellent!
              I think, also, that Beethoven (and probably others) used to sell their own tickets to their concerts right out of their own homes where people would come up to their door and buy the tickets from the artist himself. Can you imagine buying a ticket from any of the rock stars now right out of their own home? Seems incredible.

Joy
              Joy,
              No, it's inconceivable today to think of doing such a thing as was routine then. You're right about the Kleiber, I didn't mention the 5th because it was off-thread, but IMHO this is the best (to me) recording available. I wonder if Gerhard has the original vinyl of this (1976, it's possible) and how much better it might sound on that, but it's hard to imagine. Hair-raising describes it well. Also, just to pique Rod a little, it has the one thing that is missing from the period instrument versions that I have heard (admittedly not enough to judge), they are both played at a tempo that can just be described as full-tilt, and that, I like. Thanks for bringing this topic up, as I am interested in getting good performances, although my definition may differ from others'. Viva la difference!
              Gurn
              Regards,
              Gurn
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Joy,
                No, it's inconceivable today to think of doing such a thing as was routine then. You're right about the Kleiber, I didn't mention the 5th because it was off-thread, but IMHO this is the best (to me) recording available. I wonder if Gerhard has the original vinyl of this (1976, it's possible) and how much better it might sound on that, but it's hard to imagine. Hair-raising describes it well.
                Gurn
                This version of the 5th is my favourite as well. It's so powerful and the tempo is just right in my opinion. 'Hair raising' is a good description. It always gets my adrenalin going!! On my classical radio station here (K-Baq) every week they have a segment where they include a 'classical CD of the week'. This was one of the CD's in which they picked. Good choice! By the way, liked your joke about Don King above. Funny! (and true)!

Joy

Comment

Also, just to pique Rod a little, it has the one thing that is missing from the period instrument versions that I have heard (admittedly not enough to judge), they are both played at a tempo that can just be described as full-tilt, and that, I like.
                  There are not many period instrument versions anyway to chose from - you can count them on one hand compared to the 100's of 'modern' versions. Of course it depends what you mean by 'full-tilt'. Sometime when you take things to far you lose something. With the 7th the main tempo problem for me is with the trio of the scherzo which is typically played too slow , as is the intro to the first allegro.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                  X