X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Page - Kenst du das Land Op75/1

Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

If for some reason any members have not received a password then email me.
    ------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited December 08, 2002).]
    'Man know thyself'

A lovely piece. I personally love the music that Beethoven composed using Goethe's works, especially the Egmont overture.

I have some other Goethe inspired works of Beethoven's that are also interesting and diverse. "Bundeslied" op.122 and "Meeresstille und Glückliche Fahrt" op.112 ("Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage"). The differences between these two are like night and day. The Bundeslied is light and happy, whereas the Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage is a Cantata for chorus that starts out slow and sad but then bursts out in a glorious refrain. Beethoven's dedication to this latter piece reads, "To the author of the poems, the immortal Goethe."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
      A lovely piece. I personally love the music that Beethoven composed using Goethe's works, especially the Egmont overture.

I have some other Goethe inspired works of Beethoven's that are also interesting and diverse. "Bundeslied" op.122 and "Meeresstille und Glückliche Fahrt" op.112 ("Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage"). The differences between these two are like night and day. The Bundeslied is light and happy, whereas the Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage is a Cantata for chorus that starts out slow and sad but then bursts out in a glorious refrain. Beethoven's dedication to this latter piece reads, "To the author of the poems, the immortal Goethe."
      I agree, a lovely piece. I really enjoy 'Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage' too. It's one of my favourites.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I'll give it a thumbs up as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

Egmont Overture has always been one of my favorite orchestral works. And I like the rest of the opus, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Now available to members at
            www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

If for some reason any members have not received a password then email me.
            A beautiful piece. Thanks, Peter.

See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz:
              A beautiful piece. Thanks, Peter.

Thanks Rod - the credit for all the rare page pieces is Rod's for sharing his collection with us.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Thanks Rod - the credit for all the rare page pieces is Rod's for sharing his collection with us.

It's all in a good cause. Don't like this singer much though, but nothing unusual there!

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  Don't like this singer much though, but nothing unusual there!

Hey ,you have never shared your view of what singer if any that you do admire,even when we begged you!!!
                  "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
                    Hey ,you have never shared your view of what singer if any that you do admire,even when we begged you!!!
                    If the term 'admire' is to be considered in the context of vocalists, I can't think of any to be honest.

Some are better than others!

But concerning the song, Goethe's enigmatic text clearly brought an appropriately enigmatic response from Beethoven.

But with non-English poetry per se I suspect so many of the nuances are lost in translation, and thus the text so often appears 'stiff'. Poetry, with it's inherent subtlety of language use must be the least universal art-form.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Poetry, with it's inherent subtlety of language use must be the least universal art-form.

[/B]
                      Yes you are right about this.
                      "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Working...
                      X