Scottish Folksong Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Folksong Settings

I listened to Janet Baker sing some of these songs on a 1976 Angel recording.Somehow her voice did not seem to suit the music.
    When Rod gave us "Highland Harry Back Again"
    or"The Highlander's Lament" I can not remember the singers name(sorry)But it suited the music so well.Why is this?,I've enjoyed Dame Janet's singing before.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Originally posted by spaceray:
    I listened to Janet Baker sing some of these songs on a 1976 Angel recording.Somehow her voice did not seem to suit the music.
    or"The Highlander's Lament" I can not remember the singers name(sorry)But it suited the music so well.Why is this?,I've enjoyed Dame Janet's singing before.
    Well, I think you have to be carefull singing these folksongs, they really need a bit of regional character injected into the words that perhaps you would not experience at a typical recital, but not straying into the realms of hysterical operatic excess. A more simple vocal manner is required really, but still with sincerity and, as I have said, character.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 30, 2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by spaceray:
      Could you please tell me the WoO number of this song? I've lost it.

Comment

The Highlanders Lament is WoO157 nr 9
        "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Does this song have an alternate title other than "Highland Harry back again", namely "Harry was a galant gay"?

Comment

Folksong treasures - The Vale of Clwyd, ...

Recently I wrote about the song "Return to Ulster" which I was so overwhelmed by. Now at amazon.de I went through all the audio examples and bought about 20 of the best songs (mostly those in the minor key) I could find - absolutely moving, for me better than most of Beethoven's normal songs!!!

http://www.amazon.de/Volkslied-Bearb...7171226&sr=8-4

Especially breathtaking is WoO 155 - 19. The Vale of Clwyd !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB1qwlOwrjc

It is like an awesome foreshadow if Tchaikowsky's great a-minor Trio!!

First edition:
            http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...oven&_seite=58

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...oven&_seite=79

So great is also:
            Welsh Songs, WoO 155 - No.15 When mortals all to rest retire
            WoO 153 - No.5 I dream'd I lay
            op. 108 dim, dim is my eye ...

Gerd

Comment

Concerning LvB folksong settings in general, I have observed that the number of musicians and even number of singers is different from one song to another (I have the Deutsche Grammophon set).

Does it depend on the score of the song provided to Beethoven or the indications (if any) given to him, or was Beethoven who chose the ensemble that he thought more suitable to each song?? Or perhaps are different versions/adaptations in different recordings??

Comment

Originally posted by atserriotserri View Post
                Concerning LvB folksong settings in general, I have observed that the number of musicians and even number of singers is different from one song to another (I have the Deutsche Grammophon set).

Does it depend on the score of the song provided to Beethoven or the indications (if any) given to him, or was Beethoven who chose the ensemble that he thought more suitable to each song?? Or perhaps are different versions/adaptations in different recordings??
                Beethoven scored almost every setting for solo voice in the treble clef (to be sung by soprano or tenor) with accompaniment for piano trio - the string parts were designed to be optional and occasionally he included additional voices and even chorus.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Beethoven scored almost every setting for solo voice in the treble clef (to be sung by soprano or tenor) with accompaniment for piano trio - the string parts were designed to be optional and occasionally he included additional voices and even chorus.
                  Thank you very much.

Comment

Some of the settings also have a flute part (which frequently is a doubling of the violin), but those versions have never been recorded.

Comment

Working...
                    X