Now available to members at
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

This was absolutely splendid!
    "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

I really enjoyed hearing this piece. I had only heard the overture to "The Ruins of Athens" before.

I have a CD of Beethoven's late choral music featuring the incidental music to Kotzebue's "König Stephan",op. 117. This music is performed by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas. This too is wonderful and one of my favorites.

Peter, I am glad that you have so many of these vocal recordings that you share with us. Unfortunately it remains a fact that much of Beethoven's vocal works have not been as accepted and performed as his other works. I read that Beethoven was accused of being a "tyrant over all the vocal organs" because of the physical strain that he supposedly put on the parts he composed for the solo and choral voice. If that was the case than it's a shame, for some of this music is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

Peter, I am glad that you have so many of these vocal recordings that you share with us. Unfortunately it remains a fact that much of Beethoven's vocal works have not been as accepted and performed as his other works. I read that Beethoven was accused of being a "tyrant over all the vocal organs" because of the physical strain that he supposedly put on the parts he composed for the solo and choral voice. If that was the case than it's a shame, for some of this music is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
        Hey! It is ROD who has been supplying you will all these recordings (not that I'm being petty or anything!). Have you never noticed my name credited on the page?

Beethoven put a 'strain' on just about everything he composed for, so you should not be surprised that he did this with the voice too.

This current disk is an excellent one I must say. Good singing from these Hungarians, and good sound quality too. But the music itself rarely gets the praise its due.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 26, 2002).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Oh please forgive me, Rod. I know that you are THE ONE who has been supplying us with all of this beautiful and lesser known Beethoven pieces. I am so sorry if I thanked the wrong one. Please don't be angry with me. I am forever greatful and I humble myself to the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:

I read that Beethoven was accused of being a "tyrant over all the vocal organs" because of the physical strain that he supposedly put on the parts he composed for the solo and choral voice. If that was the case than it's a shame, for some of this music is so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes. [/B]

It's true he put a physical strain on the vocal organs. While rehearsing the solo parts of 'Ode to Joy' the soprano accused him of making her sing too high. I sometimes wonder if she ever hit the high notes that Beethoven wanted her to as he was already too deaf to hear her.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
            X