Learning "The Tempest" 3rd Mvm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning "The Tempest" 3rd Mvm

I've just recently begun to learn Beethoven's "The Tempest" (The 3rd Movement) and I am confused about some of the fingering and was wondering if someone could perhaps clarify this for me. The left hand part in the first few measures, should that be: 5 on Bass D, 2 on A, 1 on Mid D, and the 2 over onto F? Or is it 5, 4, 2, 1? :/

I suggest 5, 4, 2, 1.

Comment

Definitely 5 4 2 1 - and do not try to stretch it, a jump from 5 to 4 is what Beethoven intended. Just as important is to maintain three beats, never let it degenerate into pairs of triplets.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you both, I appreciate it! Do either of you know where I can find a good recording of it?

Comment

If the old Alfred Brendel recording has been rereleased, try it. He's one of the great Beethoven masters. Or if you like historical documents, you might try to find the Artur Schnabel recording.

Unfortunately I'm not up on the more modern releases or period-instrument recordings.

Comment

The best way to do it is:
            D chord: 5,3,1,2
            A chord: 5,1,3,2

you'll see how these ones flow...
            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Rutra, that is how I was originally learning it. It is much easier to play that way, and does have more of a flow...though I don't know if that is how it was meant to be played.

[This message has been edited by Ziridar (edited November 13, 2002).]

Comment

I don't think so. It might be easier to pull off, techically, but that's not the only thing to consider. I really think Beethoven intended a jump from 5 to 4.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited November 13, 2002).]

Comment

Eh...so it isn't necessarily meant to flow in the left hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
                    The best way to do it is:
                    D chord: 5,3,1,2
                    A chord: 5,1,3,2

you'll see how these ones flow...
                    I'm afraid not - (by the way I do happen to teach piano!) - Beethoven asks the 2nd note in the left hand to be held till the end of the bar - how can you possibly hold it with the fingering you suggest? Relying simply on the pedal is not good enough.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                      I don't think so. It might be easier to pull off, techically, but that's not the only thing to consider. I really think Beethoven intended a jump from 5 to 4.

He intended the second note to be held and that implies the 5-4 fingering which should be taken with a jump (a small curved movement - not straight - never straight in jumps!!)

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

A small curved movement...hmm. I want to thank you all again for your help,

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                          Just as important is to maintain three beats, never let it degenerate into pairs of triplets.

Finding it difficult to avoid this when I bring it up to tempo...but that's just my lack of skill on the piano.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziridar:
                            Originally posted by Peter:
                            Just as important is to maintain three beats, never let it degenerate into pairs of triplets.

Finding it difficult to avoid this when I bring it up to tempo...but that's just my lack of skill on the piano.
                            I think that it is easier to make the music flow if you do not think about 3 beats or 2 in a measure, count it as a long one beat.
                            "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Hmm, I'll try that, thanks =)

Comment

Working...
                              X