Famous Composer's Belongings Exhibit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous Composer's Belongings Exhibit

Today I went to the "Künstlerreliquien und Devotionalien" exhibit in the Palais Harrach in downtown Vienna. It included items that belonged to some of the famous composers and writers that lived here in Vienna.

For example, there was one of Beethoven's walking sticks, an ear trumpet, locks of his hair, a piece of cloth from his death shroud, and a piece of the floor and a strip of wallpaper from the flat that Beethoven died in. From Mozart there was also locks of hair, a walking stick with an ivory handle in the shape of a sphinx, and a snuff box. From Schubert there was also locks of hair, a plaster cast of his skull, and an actual relic one of his ribs. There was locks of hair from Haydn and a plaster cast of his skull too. Hanging on the wall was a beautiful silk embroidered piano cover that belonged to Johann Strauss. Also there were many statues and busts of Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Johann Strauss, and Haydn. Some original sheet music from Beethoven and Schubert was also to be scene.

I enjoyed it. I saw some items that I have not seen at any of the composer's museums that are here in Vienna.

P.S. I'm glad to see that the old forum is back.

It sounds a facinating exhibition Andrea, we never get anything remotely like this in London.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited November 12, 2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

And Colorado is much too far away! I still remember my visit to the Salzburg Mozarthaus as one of my life's highlights.

Comment

Working...
      X