Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

I have a very general question regarding Beethoven's birth and upbringing and would love to hear anyone's comments on it. I have always heard that Beethoven was born to a very poor family, that he was one of several children, that many of the children were sick -- either stricken with deafness or other illnesses. Is there any truth to this bit of information? Or it is a myth? I am very interested in this... Thank you so much.

Originally posted by Saggiact:
    I have a very general question regarding Beethoven's birth and upbringing and would love to hear anyone's comments on it. I have always heard that Beethoven was born to a very poor family, that he was one of several children, that many of the children were sick -- either stricken with deafness or other illnesses. Is there any truth to this bit of information? Or it is a myth? I am very interested in this... Thank you so much.
    Well, I think if you check the main site pages you'll find plenty of info about Beethoven's background and family. Certainly he had siblings who died.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Ludwig was the second child of 7. The first died after only six days. Two more survived to adulthood besides Ludwig, brother Carl and Johann. Carl died of TB at 41 yrs. of age. No other child in the family was deaf. He had a younger sister who died at 1 1/2 yrs. old. Others died after only a few days.
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Thank you, Joy. This information has been very helpful. I couldn't ever seem to find anything that specific on many of the websites devoted to Beethoven's life.

Comment

Thank you, Joy. This information has been very helpful. I couldn't ever seem to find anything that specific on many of the websites devoted to Beethoven's life.
          Glad to help. I got this information from the book 'Beethoven' by Maynard Solomon. There's a wonderful chapter on B's family background. Also the books 'Thayer's Life on Beethoven' by Elliot Forbes Vol. I & II is very helpful.

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X