Music attributed to Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music attributed to Beethoven

I have searched far and wide for sheet music of Beethoven's settings of Folksongs,I don't know why they are so difficult to find?So far after two months of searching I have uncovered eleven pieces out of ,how many was it?a hundred and sixty from four different sources.Yesterday I found a song with music attributed to Beethoven called Those Evening Bells could someone confirm that this is one of the Folksong Settings,I don't have a recording of this so have nothing to compare it to in any case,but it might help to know if this was one of the titles of the collection.
    "Finis coronat opus "

Originally posted by spaceray:
    I have searched far and wide for sheet music of Beethoven's settings of Folksongs,I don't know why they are so difficult to find?So far after two months of searching I have uncovered eleven pieces out of ,how many was it?a hundred and sixty from four different sources.Yesterday I found a song with music attributed to Beethoven called Those Evening Bells could someone confirm that this is one of the Folksong Settings,I don't have a recording of this so have nothing to compare it to in any case,but it might help to know if this was one of the titles of the collection.
    I know someone who has found this sheet music, I'll give u the details of where she got it soon. Watch this space. Don't recall a song called Those Evening Bells though. Will check.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I guess those beethoven folksongs are very rare to me....did you try ebay.com?

they got alot of good stuff on beethoven by the way.

Comment

Here's the list I have of Beethoven's Folksong arrangements:

WoO152 25 Irish Songs; WoO153 20 Irish songs; WoO154 12 Irish songs; WoO155 26 Welsh songs; op. 108 25 Scottish songs; WoO156 12 Scottish songs; WoO157 12 songs of various nationality; WoO158a 23 songs of various nationality; WoO158b 7 British songs; WoO158c 6 songs of various nationality; Hess 168 Air francais; Hess 133 Das liebe Kätzchen; Hess 134 Der Knabe auf dem Berge.

That is just the Folksong list. There are many other songs with piano, etc. Hope this helps.

Comment

The book I have found the song Those Evening Bells in calls it self Songs of England,published in 1905 by Boosey & Co.A reliable source one would think,so why is the music only attributed to Beethoven?Wasn't every last quarter note that LVB wrote accounted for?Is there lost music of Beethoven's still out there?

And don't tease me Rod ,if you know where this sheet music is please tell me and put an end to my search there are only two or three pieces that I absolute must have .Are they single songs or in volumes?
          I breathlessly await your reply.
          "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

The book I have found the song Those Evening Bells in calls it self Songs of England,published in 1905 by Boosey & Co.A reliable source one would think,so why is the music only attributed to Beethoven?Wasn't every last quarter note that LVB wrote accounted for?Is there lost music of Beethoven's still out there?

And don't tease me Rod ,if you know where this sheet music is please tell me and put an end to my search there are only two or three pieces that I absolute must have .Are they single songs or in volumes?
            I breathlessly await your reply.
            I'm certain that B wrote stuff in his Bon days that are now lost to us. The best known of these is his oboe concerto, of which only fragments remain today, but which was certainly completed.

A friend of mine discovered apparently all the music for ALL of Beethoven's songs, they are published by Henley and titled
            'The Complete Songs of Beethoven'. Check this supplier out.

She also found a book in the library titled Folksongs In Settings By Master Composers with eight of Beethoven's arrangements.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 10, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
              Here's the list I have of Beethoven's Folksong arrangements:

WoO152 25 Irish Songs; WoO153 20 Irish songs; WoO154 12 Irish songs; WoO155 26 Welsh songs; op. 108 25 Scottish songs; WoO156 12 Scottish songs; WoO157 12 songs of various nationality; WoO158a 23 songs of various nationality; WoO158b 7 British songs; WoO158c 6 songs of various nationality; Hess 168 Air francais; Hess 133 Das liebe Kätzchen; Hess 134 Der Knabe auf dem Berge.

That is just the Folksong list. There are many other songs with piano, etc. Hope this helps.
              wow weeeee your really good on Finding Beethoven's very rare music Andrea! I'm impressed!

Comment

Can you tell me if one of the English songs iscalled"Those Evening Bells"?
                "Finis coronat opus "

Comment

Can you tell me if one of the English songs iscalled"Those Evening Bells"?
                  It's not in the complete folksongs volume of the DG Complete Beethoven Edition. Perhaps someone adapted a Beethoven piece to the lyrics you mention.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 12, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod View Post
                    It's not in the complete folksongs volume of the DG Complete Beethoven Edition. Perhaps someone adapted a Beethoven piece to the lyrics you mention.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited September 12, 2002).]
                    It is not mentioned in Barry Cooper's monography Beethoven's Folksong Setting. chronology, sources, Style. (Clarenden Press Oxford 1994), so at least the text is not original.

If the theme of the ong is a beethovenian theme however, and there is a German translation, it could be one of the "folksongs" arranged by the German composer Friedrich Silcher.
                    DGG/Archiv has recorded some 12 of these in the early 1970s, but unfortunately I haven't got that LP nor seen it re-released.

Comment

Working...
                    X