Get a Handel On It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a Handel On It

I've gotten loads of references to Handel and his wonderful music in my other topic "Beethoven Quote of the Day". I unfortunately no longer have many recordings of Handel's music. I used to have about 6 CDs of Handel but 4 of these CDs got lost in the post when my brother tried to send them to me here in Vienna. I now only have these 2 pieces: "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" and the concerto grosso in G major, Op. 6, No. 1. I would like to hear from you all out there for you Handel favorites. I need to broaden my musical collection. Thanks.

Originally posted by Andrea:
    I've gotten loads of references to Handel and his wonderful music in my other topic "Beethoven Quote of the Day". I unfortunately no longer have many recordings of Handel's music. I used to have about 6 CDs of Handel but 4 of these CDs got lost in the post when my brother tried to send them to me here in Vienna. I now only have these 2 pieces: "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" and the concerto grosso in G major, Op. 6, No. 1. I would like to hear from you all out there for you Handel favorites. I need to broaden my musical collection. Thanks.
    You trying to get into my 'good books' Andrea? If so it's working! I recommend you get all 12 op6 concertos. the best deal is a 2 disk set on Decca by Hogwood and the Handel and Haydn Society. Get 'Solomon' and 'Theodora' by McCreesh and the Gabrielli Consort (Archiv Label). 'Saul' and 'The Triumph of Time and Truth' on Naxos. 'Israel in Egypt' (Virgin Veritas label). This is a good start. I'd mention some operas but they are ridiculously expensive.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 30, 2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Rod, thanks for the Handel music tips. I would have thanked you earlier but now that my husband is off work on 3 weeks sick leave, I need to make an appointment with him to get a few minutes at the PC. It may be awhile before I can get back to the chat room because of this problem. Maybe I'll go out and buy a new Beethoven, Mozart or Handel CD. Yea, that's the ticket!

Comment

Rod,
        I saw your suggestions for Handel, but I have been unable to find the Op. 6 concerto grossi by the label you recommended. Do you know where I can find it?
        Thanks,
        Carolyn :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
          Rod,
          I saw your suggestions for Handel, but I have been unable to find the Op. 6 concerto grossi by the label you recommended. Do you know where I can find it?
          Thanks,
          Carolyn :-)
          Firstly a message for Chris, you system seems no longer to recognise me, so I've had to re-register. Trying to get rid of me Chris?

Concerning Op6 (the pinnacle of baroque instrumental composition imho) the Decca set is readily available here in the UK, perhaps if you are elsewhere you will have to order it. I'd ve very surprised if Amazon did not have it.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rodders:
            Firstly a message for Chris, you system seems no longer to recognise me, so I've had to re-register. Trying to get rid of me Chris?
            Of course, but this has nothing to do with it

Actually, it was very strange - the file with your user data was still there, but it was a blank file. Anyway, I've tried to reconstruct the file manually. I coppied all the info out of your "Rodders" account, and adjusted the fields that needed to be different. Your date of registration may be a day or two off, and your post count may be a bit off as well (fortunately Peter was good enough to mention your post count in a message a month ago, so I was able to make a good educated guess ).

Anyway, it should work now, so give it a try. I deleted your "Rodders" account, because of a potential conflict in the database, but should you need to use it, you can register that name (or any other you like) again and it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              I deleted your "Rodders" account, because of a potential conflict in the database, but should you need to use it, you can register that name (or any other you like) again and it should be fine.
              I rather like the name Rodders - it sounds less intimidating!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                I rather like the name Rodders - it sounds less intimidating!

It's what the guys down the bar call me. I like it too, but too late, I'm back with stiff old Rod!

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  Of course, but this has nothing to do with it

Actually, it was very strange - the file with your user data was still there, but it was a blank file. Anyway, I've tried to reconstruct the file manually. I coppied all the info out of your "Rodders" account, and adjusted the fields that needed to be different.
                  Well thank you for promoting me up from junior member! I think dark and mystical Wagnerian forces were at work!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X