Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven's Favorite work, in HIS opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Favorite work, in HIS opinion.

Does anyone has an idea of which one of his amazing works did B have as a favorite?
    I know he is said to have made the statement: 'Amongst all of my children this is the one who cost me the worst birth pangs, and that's why it's so dear to me.'(I think it's like this) about his Fidelio.

Is this the one?
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

I think, and please correct me if I am wrong, that Beethoven wrote this in a letter, concerning the Missa solemnis: '... although I find it difficult to talk about myself, yet I must say that I consider this to be my greatest work.'

Comment

I found this Beethoven quote in one of my favorite books about him:
      "Never did my own music produce such an effect upon me; even now when I recall this work it still costs me a tear." This was reported by Holz. The reference is to the Cavatina from the quartet in B-flat, op. 130, which Beethoven thought the crown of all quartet movements and his favorite composition. When alone and undisturbed he was fond of playing his favorite pianoforte Andante-that from the sonata op.28.

Comment

The Hammerlavier sonata was very important for him, as he said "after composing this sonata, I didn't know what was composing music, and now I know".

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          The Hammerlavier sonata was very important for him, as he said "after composing this sonata, I didn't know what was composing music, and now I know".
          CORRECTION: the quote is "BEFORE composing this sonata, I didn't know what was composing music, and now I know".

Pardon this error.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
            Does anyone has an idea of which one of his amazing works did B have as a favorite?
            I know he is said to have made the statement: 'Amongst all of my children this is the one who cost me the worst birth pangs, and that's why it's so dear to me.'(I think it's like this) about his Fidelio.

Is this the one?
            I know this quote about Fidelio, but he also stated that the Missa Solemnis was his greatest work. I suppose it would be difficult to chose between the worlds greatest opera and the worlds greatest Mass!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I know this quote about Fidelio, but he also stated that the Missa Solemnis was his greatest work. I suppose it would be difficult to chose between the worlds greatest opera and the worlds greatest Mass!

On that I certainly agree!! :-)
              "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

I suppose it would be hard for a composer to pick just one favourite piece as it would be for an artist to pick just one favourtie painting. Throughout the years each artist probably has a few works they hold special.
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                X