Triumph & Tragedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triumph & Tragedy

Last evening here in Madison, Wisconsin (USA), the local chamber orchestra had a performance on the Capital Lawn. The theme was Triumph & Tragedy and included the Egmont Overature & the 3rd movement to the 5th! What an awesome evening!
    For whatever reason the tonal characteristics of the 3rd mvmt in Bs 5th, sounds of 'Spanish' flavor to me???

------------------
    "To play without passion is inexcusable!" - Ludwig van Beethoven

Originally posted by Zon:
    Last evening here in Madison, Wisconsin (USA), the local chamber orchestra had a performance on the Capital Lawn. The theme was Triumph & Tragedy and included the Egmont Overature & the 3rd movement to the 5th! What an awesome evening!
    For whatever reason the tonal characteristics of the 3rd mvmt in Bs 5th, sounds of 'Spanish' flavor to me???

I don't know why, but including fragments of a symphony in a concert is something condemnable, and worst if the symphony is Beethoven's, and worst if its the 5th! I wouldn't dare to attend a concert where they play the 5th with the allegro con brio left apart!

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
      I don't know why, but including fragments of a symphony in a concert is something condemnable, and worst if the symphony is Beethoven's, and worst if its the 5th! I wouldn't dare to attend a concert where they play the 5th with the allegro con brio left apart!
      I find it difficult to come up with an ending to the 3rd movement without having to play the entire 4th, as well. Someone must have altered it in order to get it to "work" as a solo number.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
        I find it difficult to come up with an ending to the 3rd movement without having to play the entire 4th, as well. Someone must have altered it in order to get it to "work" as a solo number.
        I agree. I can't see how it could be done. The 3rd mm flows into the 4th anyway with no hesitation so did they just stop the 3rd at a certain point? It must have been altered. I've been to concerts where they just perform the 1st mm but that stands alone where it can be done. However, I prefer to hear all 4 mmts.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          However, I prefer to hear all 4 mmts.
          Absolutely!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
            I agree. I can't see how it could be done. The 3rd mm flows into the 4th anyway with no hesitation so did they just stop the 3rd at a certain point? It must have been altered. I've been to concerts where they just perform the 1st mm but that stands alone where it can be done. However, I prefer to hear all 4 mmts.
            I have an arrangement of the slow movement of the 5th Piano Concerto that combines both orchestral and piano part. While I enjoy playing it by myself I am uncomfortable with the "ending" that someone else interjected. It simply has to have the final movement to end correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
              I have an arrangement of the slow movement of the 5th Piano Concerto that combines both orchestral and piano part. While I enjoy playing it by myself I am uncomfortable with the "ending" that someone else interjected. It simply has to have the final movement to end correctly.
              On the classical radio station they were discussing the modern day composers and how they are adding their own endings and cadenzas to the classics. Someone had added his own piece to Beethoven's violin concerto.
              They played it and to me it didn't sound all that different. I don't know what the purpose is supposed to be.
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                LOL gimme a break!!! Id rather have a little B than no B myself LOL!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X