Beginning Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning Beethoven

Hello! I am just starting to get aquainted with Beethoven. I would like to know what members here think I should buy. I have some basics (Symphonies Nos.3,5,& 9; Some Piano Concerti; a couple piano pieces like Fur Elise, etc...)but I would like to expand my collection.

Second, I love Mozart very much. What do others here on the board think of him? I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
    Robby Bonkowski

As a starting point I'd get the following - All the Symphonies, the Violin Concerto - make sure you have the piano concertos 3,4 &5. The Overtures to Egmont, Coriolan and the Consecration of the House. Archduke Piano Trio Op.97. String Quartets Op.18, Piano Sonatas Op.27 no.2, Op.53, Op.57, Op.78, Op.81a, Op.109.

There are further recommendations on this page - www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rec.html

I also share your enthusiasm for Mozart!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I too am a big Mozart lover. I just bought (and listened to) the AAM complete Mozart symphonies - fantastic! I was a little worried about spending so much money on that set, because I was not too impressed with their Beethoven set, but these were amazing performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        I too am a big Mozart lover. I just bought (and listened to) the AAM complete Mozart symphonies - fantastic! I was a little worried about spending so much money on that set, because I was not too impressed with their Beethoven set, but these were amazing performances.

Indeed, the AAM Mozart symphony set is excellent. I also have the Complete Mozart Edition, which is absolutely wonderful! (Spending about $2000 on CDs may seem a bit crazy, but I tell you its worth every penny!)

I also constantly visit a Mozart Discussion Board, which is a great place to get all your questions on Mozart answered. I invite all of you to come and visit. The web address is: http://mozart.rainbownet.com/wwwboard/index.html

Regards,
        Robby

Comment

Originally posted by Robby Bonkowski:

Indeed, the AAM Mozart symphony set is excellent. I also have the Complete Mozart Edition, which is absolutely wonderful! (Spending about $2000 on CDs may seem a bit crazy, but I tell you its worth every penny!)

Regards,
          Robby
          Well if you've gone that far with Mozart, you could look at the DG complete edition to give you an idea, but you will often find better recordings of the works elsewhere and can always ask for recommendations here. The suggestions I made earlier were only a starting place, but eventually you should have the complete piano Sonatas and variations, string Quartets, trios, 'cello Sonatas and Violin Sonatas, Fidelio, the 2 masses and the oratorio. After that you should get the songs.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            Well if you've gone that far with Mozart, you could look at the DG complete edition to give you an idea, but you will often find better recordings of the works elsewhere and can always ask for recommendations here. The suggestions I made earlier were only a starting place, but eventually you should have the complete piano Sonatas and variations, string Quartets, trios, 'cello Sonatas and Violin Sonatas, Fidelio, the 2 masses and the oratorio. After that you should get the songs.
            Who's Sonat cycle would you recommend? I've got Kempf's but find it very dissatisfacory. (Besides, the last CD is a copy of the second to last, meaning that the final sonatas are not there!)

Comment

I have the Piano Sonatas by Bernard Roberts. A very satisfactory edition. It's the complete sonatas as well.

P.S. I also am a Mozart fan!
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
                Who's Sonat cycle would you recommend? I've got Kempf's but find it very dissatisfacory. (Besides, the last CD is a copy of the second to last, meaning that the final sonatas are not there!)
                Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328--2

Brendel - Philips 412 575-2PH11

Charles Rosen for Sonatas 27-32 - 2 CDs, Sony Essential Classics SB2K 53531 (1971, 1994)

or Paul Komen for fortepiano.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                  I have the Piano Sonatas by Bernard Roberts. A very satisfactory edition. It's the complete sonatas as well.

P.S. I also am a Mozart fan!
                  This is not performed on the fortepiano is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                    Richard Goode -Elektra Nonesuch 7559-79328--2

Brendel - Philips 412 575-2PH11

Charles Rosen for Sonatas 27-32 - 2 CDs, Sony Essential Classics SB2K 53531 (1971, 1994)

or Paul Komen for fortepiano.
                    I think I will look into Roberts, Brendel, and maybe Komen. I recall Rod advising Roberts, but am not sure if his recordings are still available.

Comment

The Roberts set is still available on Nimbus (I see it everywhere). He plays a pf, but the real advantage with this set is that no studio "touching-up" was done; you hear it just as he played it. Interestingly though, he is rather arbitrary with how he deals with repeats. For example, he omits the repeat of the last section of Op.10/2, but observes the repeat (detrimental to the overall effect, in my view) of the last section of Op.54.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        The Roberts set is still available on Nimbus (I see it everywhere). He plays a pf, but the real advantage with this set is that no studio "touching-up" was done; you hear it just as he played it. Interestingly though, he is rather arbitrary with how he deals with repeats. For example, he omits the repeat of the last section of Op.10/2, but observes the repeat (detrimental to the overall effect, in my view) of the last section of Op.54.
                        The arbitrary repeats will drive me nuts. In terms of performances (with Beethoven) I am a stickler for repeating where indicated. (Although I am lazy when I play for myself.)

Comment

The Roberts set is quite a reasonable purchase, very cheap if you can find it these days. One thing I'm sure of, an obervance of a Beethoven repeat is never detrimental!

------------------
                          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

In most cases, I would agree. But with the allegretto of Op.54, Roberts' pace means that with both main sections being repeated, the movement lasts for 7-and-a-half mins, which compared to Jando on Naxos (for example), means it is over twice the length it could be. At 7+ mins, I think the mvt drags. The first mvt, though, seems perfectly proportioned.

Comment

In most cases, I would agree. But with the allegretto of Op.54, Roberts' pace means that with both main sections being repeated, the movement lasts for 7-and-a-half mins, which compared to Jando on Naxos (for example), means it is over twice the length it could be. At 7+ mins, I think the mvt drags. The first mvt, though, seems perfectly proportioned.
                              Well, this is the crux of the whole issue of repeats with Beethoven. Tempos in general are so underpaced that the inclusion of the repeat would be judged as making the movement too long and boring for the listener. The problem is not however the repeat, but the tempo. The classic example is with the Archduke scherzo - this movement is played so pathetically lame that the repeat of the trio section is almost never observed. Yet a far swifter performance (such as that played by the Castle Trio on Virgin) makes the inclusion of the repeat almost manditory, and much to the movement's benefit.

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 19, 2002).]
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                              X