Some thoughts from a new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some thoughts from a new member

Hi, I am new to this site's discussion forum, and after a casual browse, I must say it is very interesting, and much good thought bounces around here. The only concern I have is that of splitting hairs - I mean, the Master gave us his music to enjoy, and through listening, to become ennobled, and discover the Divine. (Yes, I say Divine, because that is the only suitable description. The source of his inspiration is obvious.) I wonder what he would think of us, this modern generation, sitting before our monitors and picking his music and life to shreds, like so many vultures? After the labour and anguish of his bringing those creations into this world, this is what he receives in return? I don't intend to anger anyone, but I worry that those of us who love Beethoven are becoming ensnared in mundane details and losing sight of the great inheritance he has left to us. We should hold forth his music in this darkening age, for it surely brings light, and as he said, frees those who know it from the cares that weigh other men down. We are only just discovering the secrets that lay in his music, and the full impact of it. It is truly powerful. The details of his life are good for trivia, but are transient - his music has the ability to change hearts, and the world. His immortal soul is in his music - find it there, and you have found the true treasure.
    "Only the pure in heart can make good soup." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Well, you may be right New Member, but after our general acknowledgement that Beethoven is THE master (though Handel for me is a close second!), what is there left if not 'splitting hairs'!?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 31, 2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

Well, you may be right New Member, but after our general acknowledgement that Beethoven is THE master (though Handel for me is a close second!), what is there left if not 'splitting hairs'!?
      Rod, judging by your other postings, I know you love to 'get the facts straight' in regards to der Meister, as we all do, and that is very admirable. But I feel that by focusing on issues that are less important (such as which was his dominant hand) whatever reverence one might feel for him is thoroughly exorcised, and he is boiled down to a bunch of 'facts'. I am not saying it is pointless or useless to know about him, for this is good, but it is even more important to know him. I believe there is a deeper level of acquaintance with Beethoven, beyond book knowledge, as I and others have experienced.

[This message has been edited by Shannon (edited July 31, 2002).]
      "Only the pure in heart can make good soup." - Ludwig van Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon:
        Rod, judging by your other postings, I know you love to 'get the facts straight' in regards to der Meister, as we all do, and that is very admirable. But I feel that by focusing on issues that are less important (such as which was his dominant hand) whatever reverence one might feel for him is thoroughly exorcised, and he is boiled down to a bunch of 'facts'. I am not saying it is pointless or useless to know about him, for this is good, but it is even more important to know him. I believe there is a deeper level of acquaintance with Beethoven, beyond book knowledge, as I and others have experienced.

I don't feel that thre are certain issues that 'are less important' like if he was right handed or left. If someone wants to ask these kinds of questions this is fine. The more we know about him the better. It's all interesting and not one fact is more or less mundane than the other. It is 'important to know him' and that's what we're trying to do through all kinds of questions and discussions.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I believe there is a deeper level of acquaintance with Beethoven, beyond book knowledge, as I and others have experienced.

This is of course true, but there is no harm in discussing the man! He'd probably have a good laugh at us all, but I doubt that he'd be offended as this site and others like it are here to promote his music - the rare page is an example of this.

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

>>>>Rod, judging by your other postings, I know you love to 'get the facts straight' in regards to der Meister, as we all do, and that is very admirable. But I feel that by focusing on issues that are less important (such as which was his dominant hand) whatever reverence one might feel for him is thoroughly exorcised, and he is boiled down to a bunch of 'facts'. <<<<<<

Uh Shannon...

He was just a guy. You know, eat, sleep, drink, sh##. Pants on one leg at a time, and all.

He was a guy trying to get by in life. He did better than some and worse than many. He did however have a real knack at making music. Studying the life of those I admire brings them even closer and keeps my perspective that they are not God on earth. Just men and women, which actually makes some of the feats even more remarkable.

Regards

Steve

www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:

Uh Shannon...

He was just a guy. You know.......Pants on one leg at a time, and all.

When he remembered to put them on at all!

Comment

Well, on occasion the 'facts' as I see them do not equated with what you would be taught in music school, or via music books - hence the necessity for discussion. Performance wise, Beethoven is easily the poorest performed composer - thus there is another area to be addressed. Sometime the solutions lie in the small details. However I'm not preventing you from enlightening us presumably more shallow individuals with your own brand of 'deep' appreciation.

------------------
                "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I agree, there is plenty of discussion here and things to learn that you won't find in books and you could learn a thing or two from others perspectives.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Most of the topics discussed on this forum are extraordinarily profound. One in particular has caused me to examine and re-think my whole attitude towards Beethoven and macaroni, particularly in relation to the "Pasta-rol" Symphony.

Michael

Comment

Yikes, that's a groaner...

Comment

Greetings from Vienna, Austria. I too am new to this forum and I find it very refreshing to hear what others feel about Beethoven.

I am an American, married to an Austrian and so lucky to be living here in the very city that Beethoven called home. I live in Heiligenstadt just down the street from where B. lived when he composed his sym.#2 and wrote his heart rendering Heligenstadt Testament. I walk through the places he walked. His presence is still felt here. His spirit and soul are in the flowers and the trees of our Vienna woods. You can see why he loved to take long walks here where he was one with nature. You can hear this in his famous sym. #6 for example. If you have never been to the Vienna woods, just listen to this sym. and you'll be able to "see" it with every note. I am truly in awe of his ability to evoke such emotions and pictures that reach down into the depths of one's soul. Amazing...

Comment

I personaly think Beethoven would find us all very amusing. I mean sitting here tring to find every little detail out about him. It shows were dedicated to his music and appreciate it so I'm sure he would have a good laugh and not mind it.
                          Kayla Riccuitti

Comment

Working...
                          X