Beethoven and Macaroni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and Macaroni

This may be the ultimate in obscurity, but I remember reading in some book full of others' writings about the big B that one of his favorite foods was a kind of macaroni and cheese (it was an odd cheese if I remember correctly). I suppose I wanted to ask because it's actually had an effect on me...

I've loved macaroni and cheese my whole life and now that I'm no longer a kid, I always feel weird when I go out with friends and order it. But upon hearing it was the one of the Master's favorites, I was never again embarassed.

Chase

[This message has been edited by LudwigVan1 (edited July 28, 2002).]
    If you ever doubt the world is backwards, just remember N'Sync can hear and Beethoven went deaf.

I had some of that today, actually. It's one of the only things I can actually "cook."

Comment

Originally posted by LudwigVan1:
      This may be the ultimate in obscurity, but I remember reading in some book full of others' writings about the big B that one of his favorite foods was a kind of macaroni and cheese (it was an odd cheese if I remember correctly).
      I believe it was Stracchino cheese.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm sure it wasn't the same dish we love today. I think it had the consistancy of gruel in those days! I once watched a PBS special where the people were simulating living back in the 1800's and they made plenty of mac 'n' cheese only it was more a paste like dish. Looked terrible!
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

This is at least delicious!

Comment

If I say that macaroni tastes like puke, am I expressing an un-Beethovenian sentiment?

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
              If I say that macaroni tastes like puke, am I expressing an un-Beethovenian sentiment?
              What kind of macaroni 'n' cheese have you been eating, Peter? Mine tastes delicious!!
              By the way, did you listen to the 'all day Beethoven's 9th' on Sunday? How was it?

Joy

Comment

Dunno, but more importantly, why did Yankee Doodle call the feather in his cap "macaroni", anyway?

Re the 9th, sorry, Joy, but I forgot my flask and sandwiches and so had to give it a miss.....a shame really, because I'm sure that extra long Ode which Mr. B dedicated to you would have been a hoot.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                  Dunno, but more importantly, why did Yankee Doodle call the feather in his cap "macaroni", anyway?

Re the 9th, sorry, Joy, but I forgot my flask and sandwiches and so had to give it a miss.....a shame really, because I'm sure that extra long Ode which Mr. B dedicated to you would have been a hoot.

That had to be a typo many years ago regarding the 'macaroni'in Yankee Doodle Dandy's cap, don't ya think! For that matter what's a 'Doodle Dandy'? I shudder to think.
                  I wonder if anyone heard the 24 hr. 'Ode to Joy'? I would like to know how it went.
                  I still can't imagine how they would have pulled that off!

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

That had to be a typo many years ago regarding the 'macaroni'in Yankee Doodle Dandy's cap, don't ya think! For that matter what's a 'Doodle Dandy'? I shudder to think.
                    You have just reminded me of something, Joy.
                    Some time ago, Rod mentioned that in some performances of the Ninth Symphony in the United States, the song "Yankee Doodle" was substituted for the "Ode to Joy" melody.
                    I have never heard of this before or since, and I find it hard to believe. Rod, if you're listening out there, was that for real? If so, we have established a strong link between Beethoven and macaroni!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      I believe it was Stracchino cheese.

I thought it was Alfredo cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:
                        I thought it was Alfredo cheese.

Never heard of it! Any good?

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

For that matter what's a 'Doodle Dandy'?
                          James Cagney?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
                            You have just reminded me of something, Joy.
                            Some time ago, Rod mentioned that in some performances of the Ninth Symphony in the United States, the song "Yankee Doodle" was substituted for the "Ode to Joy" melody.
                            I have never heard of this before or since, and I find it hard to believe. Rod, if you're listening out there, was that for real? If so, we have established a strong link between Beethoven and macaroni!

Michael

I don't know if Rod was just kidding us all but I have never heard it performed in this country or even heard anyone discussing it.
                            Maybe it was a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              Never heard of it! Any good?

I've heard of alfredo sauce. Goes over spaghetti! Now that's good. Yum!

Comment

Working...
                              X