Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about May 7th, 1824

Please, somebody answer this:
    -Which were the parts of the Missa Solemnis included in this concert (premiere of the Ninth Symphony)?
    -Schindler says Beethoven fainted when he received the ticket-box report: why did he faint? because 2200fl were too much or too little? (I don't know the value of the currency)
    -Where was it held (the concert)?

Thanks

The other pieces performed were the overture Consecration of the house' op.124, and the Kyrie, Credo and Agnus Dei from the Missa Solemnis op.123.

2200fls was a disaster! After expenses,Beethoven was left with only 420 florins, with some debts still to be paid.

The performance took place at the Karntnerthor theatre which no longer exists -there is a picture of it on this site.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      The other pieces performed were the overture Consecration of the house' op.124, and the Kyrie, Credo and Agnus Dei from the Missa Solemnis op.123.

2200fls was a disaster! After expenses,Beethoven was left with only 420 florins, with some debts still to be paid.

The performance took place at the Karntnerthor theatre which no longer exists -there is a picture of it on this site.

And what does Kartnerthor mean?

Comment

Sorry, I do not find nothing for a translation of KARTNERTHOR... I will ask to the BEETHOVEN HAUS. Please be patient ! I am just back from a big Masterclass !
        Claudie

Comment

The Kärthnertor Theatre was in Beethoven's time, one of Vienna's two principle theatres (the other was the Burgtheater which still exits today). The Kärthnertor is no longer but it used to be located at the end of the Kärtner Strasse in Vienna's 1st district. I'm not sure when it was torn down, but it was located just about where the Sacher Hotel and the Vienna State Opera House now stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
            I'm not sure when it was torn down, but it was located just about where the Sacher Hotel and the Vienna State Opera House now stand.

Torn down??.....why did they do that?

Comment

If Kärthner was the street, what does "tor" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by ~Immortal Beloved~:

Torn down??.....why did they do that?
                I think it was in the 1860s when the old city walls were pulled down to make way for the wide boulevard now known as the Ring - perhaps the Kärthnertor was pulled down to make way for the new opera house? Mind you planners can cause monstrous destruction for no good reason - in my home city of Brighton (UK), in the 1960's they had planned to pull down George 1V's Royal Pavillion and replace it with a car park! They also toyed with the idea of pulling down the wonderful rows of Regency terrace buildings that adorn the seafront - thankfully they did not get their way!

------------------
                'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited August 10, 2002).]
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tor is german for "gate". In Beethoven's time there was a great wall around Vienna. Where the Karntnertor was located was at one of the main gates in this wall. In 1857 Emperor Franz Josef ordered the destruction of the wall and it was replaced by the Ring Strasse. The State Opera House was then constructed and completed in 1869.

Comment

Working...
                  X