Home in Heiligenstadt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home in Heiligenstadt

Greetings from someone who has the great pleasure of living here in Heiligenstadt (in Vienna's 19th district). I've been checking out some of the other topics in this forum and they sure do run the gambit; from the master's music to did he really enjoy cheese and macaroni. That can very well be true while this noodle dish has been a Viennese favorite since time can remember.

Here in Vienna Beethoven is everywhere. Maybe that's because he actually lived everywhere here. One thing for sure, he really loved it here in Heiligenstadt (and the surrounding towns). I can see why. I too love this place and I enjoy walking in some of the same areas he roamed: the Vienna Woods, Kahlenberg, Nüssdorf. You can see where he sat and composed his sym. #6 or where he would retreat from the world and enjoy the beauty of the nature around him.

One can see why Beethoven and so many other famous composers came to live here in Vienna. This is and was the classical music capital of the world. The music from all of these composers continue to be played and enjoyed here. Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert-they live on; they ARE Vienna...

Originally posted by Andrea:
    Greetings from someone who has the great pleasure of living here in Heiligenstadt (in Vienna's 19th district). I've been checking out some of the other topics in this forum and they sure do run the gambit; from the master's music to did he really enjoy cheese and macaroni. That can very well be true while this noodle dish has been a Viennese favorite since time can remember.

Here in Vienna Beethoven is everywhere. Maybe that's because he actually lived everywhere here. One thing for sure, he really loved it here in Heiligenstadt (and the surrounding towns). I can see why. I too love this place and I enjoy walking in some of the same areas he roamed: the Vienna Woods, Kahlenberg, Nüssdorf. You can see where he sat and composed his sym. #6 or where he would retreat from the world and enjoy the beauty of the nature around him.

One can see why Beethoven and so many other famous composers came to live here in Vienna. This is and was the classical music capital of the world. The music from all of these composers continue to be played and enjoyed here. Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert-they live on; they ARE Vienna...
    From my experience of Vienna it is Mozart and J Strauss that are everywhere, I saw very little Beethoven! This is not surprising considering he was a foreigner, but I was a little disappointed - I was looking for some Beethoven chocolate! But Vienna was a very nice city (but every city is nice compared to London!) and I visited a number of Beethovens old houses.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Rod, that's surprising you didn't see much of Beethoven when you were here. There's plenty to see of him here in Döbling (the 19th district). The houses where he lived when he composed the sym. #2 and #3, for example, are musuems. Downtown there are also Beethoven museums. Where abouts were you when you were in Vienna?

I can see why you may have seen more of Mozart and J. Strauss here than Beethoven. Wolfgang and Johann were Austrians while Ludwig was German. Years ago I went on a tour of Vienna where the tour guide made the comment, "The Germans gave us Austrians Beethoven, while we gave them Hitler." The next time you are in Vienna, I'll show you where you can see more of Beethoven.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea:
        Rod, that's surprising you didn't see much of Beethoven when you were here. There's plenty to see of him here in Döbling (the 19th district). The houses where he lived when he composed the sym. #2 and #3, for example, are musuems. Downtown there are also Beethoven museums. Where abouts were you when you were in Vienna?

I can see why you may have seen more of Mozart and J. Strauss here than Beethoven. Wolfgang and Johann were Austrians while Ludwig was German. Years ago I went on a tour of Vienna where the tour guide made the comment, "The Germans gave us Austrians Beethoven, while we gave them Hitler." The next time you are in Vienna, I'll show you where you can see more of Beethoven.
        Well, the next time I find the inner strength to dare to fly I'll may just take you up on that offer Andrea!

I did a lightning 3 day Beethoven tour of Vienna about 3 years ago and went just about everywhere north and south, B's grave as well of course (I got lost for over half an hour in the cemetary!!). I was staying at a friends house in nearby Budapest, where there are few very nice Beethoven related locations also.

Concerning Mozart and Strauss I was thinking of their commercial exposure as opposed to museums etc. Mozart 'branded' products above all were at every tourist attraction and store in some way or form.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited August 09, 2002).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Yes, Rod, I know what you mean about getting lost in our central cemetery. The first time I went there, I got lost for 2 hours. By pure chance I did find the graves of Antonio Salieri and Carl Czerny. They are in another part of the cemetery, a bit away from Beethoven and the rest. Wish I knew why.

Comment

Working...
          X