Rare page - Piano Sonata in C, WoO51

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare page - Piano Sonata in C, WoO51

Now available to members on the rare page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:
    Now available to members on the rare page.
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

For what it's worth in this case I forgot to give you the tempi for the two pieces Peter:

1st movement = Allegro
    2nd movement = adagio

This is a very nice piece I think. the second movement particularly poignant. I don't know how much Ries contributed but the structure of the second movement whereby the two themes are simply repeated could perhaps suggest that the fragment only contained the two themes for this piece and Ries simply duplicated them to extend the movements duration, and then supplied the closing passage? Just a guess though.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

What a nice piece. I read that the date could have been 1797-1798. It was published posthumously. The last movement is lost and parts of the first 2 mmts as well. Did B dedicate this to E. Von Breuning? Does anyone know what the circumstances were that this piece was lost and completed by F. Ries. Why didn't B complete it or wasn't it completed until after his death?

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited July 29, 2002).]
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        What a nice piece. I read that the date could have been 1797-1798. It was published posthumously. The last movement is lost and parts of the first 2 mmts as well. Did B dedicate this to E. Von Breuning? Does anyone know what the circumstances were that this piece was lost and completed by F. Ries. Why didn't B complete it or wasn't it completed until after his death?

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited July 29, 2002).]
        Why? Why? Why? It was intended for her but there is no official dedication because if it was completed the manuscript is lost, only these fragments exist. Ries must have completed it after B's death I'm sure!

------------------

Comment

The interpreter of this sonata is the same than in the non-official piano sonata published before on the rare page? (WoO47)

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
            The interpreter of this sonata is the same than in the non-official piano sonata published before on the rare page? (WoO47)
            No, that was David Breitman (fortepiano, 1795 Walter copy).

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              No, that was David Breitman (fortepiano, 1795 Walter copy).

The piano in WoO51 is not a period piano, right?

Comment

Right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

This is a very nice piece I think. the second movement particularly poignant. I don't know how much Ries contributed but the structure of the second movement whereby the two themes are simply repeated could perhaps suggest that the fragment only contained the two themes for this piece and Ries simply duplicated them to extend the movements duration, and then supplied the closing passage? Just a guess though.

Interesting. I thought these presented movements were the fragmentary pieces left unfinished, with longer - and more? - mvts completed by Ries existing in another edition, which I've not heard. If the piece presented here is the reconstructed Ries version, then the original fragments must have been very fragmentary, indeed!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                    Interesting. I thought these presented movements were the fragmentary pieces left unfinished, with longer - and more? - mvts completed by Ries existing in another edition, which I've not heard.
                    That could be the scenario, but the first movement sounds complete to me and the second 'finished' but not constructed in a typical Beethoven manner - hence my hypothesis. I know there is no material for any further movements and I doubt if Ries would have had the temerity to construct a finale of purely his own invention.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X