Are the Diabelli's underrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the Diabelli's underrated?

I have noticed that B's Diabelli Variations don't get the same kind of attention, as Bach's Goldberg Variations. Don't get me wrong; the Goldbergs are fabulous, but don't you think the Diabelli Variations deserve to be mentioned on a similar level?

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
    I have noticed that B's Diabelli Variations don't get the same kind of attention, as Bach's Goldberg Variations. Don't get me wrong; the Goldbergs are fabulous, but don't you think the Diabelli Variations deserve to be mentioned on a similar level?
    We'll they are generally regarded as the best variations for piano, but are also mentioned on an equal footing as the Goldberg set although this is really harpsichord music. Equal or not I prefer to listen to the Beethoven!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I'd say everything by Beethoven is underrated. He stands uniquely in a middle ground between frivolity/patron flattering, and pretensious over-indulgence, while at the same time offering a self-deprecating facet to dissuade potential detractors. With Op.120, as usual, Mr. B has the last laugh - ending a "serious" work with a chord like that? Come on!!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        I'd say everything by Beethoven is underrated. He stands uniquely in a middle ground between frivolity/patron flattering, and pretensious over-indulgence, while at the same time offering a self-deprecating facet to dissuade potential detractors. With Op.120, as usual, Mr. B has the last laugh - ending a "serious" work with a chord like that? Come on!!
        I don't find this chord to be comic in intent. The last variation is very simple yet serene. A typical Beethovenian almost childlike sincerity, positive but not comic.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 27, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
          That unsavory description fits better the late/neo-Romanticists in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano:
            That unsavory description fits better the late/neo-Romanticists in my opinion.
            I'm still trying to work out what PDG is rambling on about with that statement (if he in fact knows himself). He won't win no Plain English Award that's for sure!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 28, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I'm still trying to work out what PDG is rambling on about with that statement (if he in fact knows himself). He won't win no Plain English Award that's for sure!

It's worthy of Sir Humphry from Yes minister!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

We'll they are generally regarded as the best variations for piano, but are also mentioned on an equal footing as the Goldberg set although this is really harpsichord music. Equal or not I prefer to listen to the Beethoven!
                While the Diabelli Variations stand at the head of the genre I've been much impressed with the other sets of variations for piano solo by the same composer. Much of my studies in this area are with a volume of complete variations for solo piano and now I ask if there are any recorded sets of the complete variations.

Comment

Much of my studies in this area are with a volume of complete variations for solo piano and now I ask if there are any recorded sets of the complete variations.
                  There are a few sets of the lesser known variations by Beethoven, some of which are quite substantial and very interesting. The cheapest must be by Brendel in a 3 disk set on VOXBOX, which I have. This has quite a few of them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 29, 2002).]

Comment

There are a few sets of the lesser known variations by Beethoven, some of which are quite substantial and very interesting. The cheapest must be by Brendel in a 3 disk set on VOXBOX, which I have. This has quite a few of them.

While I generally liked Brendel's playing (I have recordings of most of the variation sets with him playing) I felt that his arbitrary choices of repeating sections and not were too capricious for my tastes and I was disappointed overall. From what I've looked at in terms of the sheet music I feel that some of Beethoven's best piano music are within.

Comment

Please finish that last sentence (the suspense is killing me).

Comment

Well!! Rambling is trespassing without a conscience, and I'd shoot the lot of 'em! So never call me a rambler. And I was after that award to complete my set, but I suppose being adored by all my fans on this board will just have to do me for now.

I guess....(sniff).....

Comment

While I generally liked Brendel's playing (I have recordings of most of the variation sets with him playing) I felt that his arbitrary choices of repeating sections and not were too capricious for my tastes and I was disappointed overall. From what I've looked at in terms of the sheet music I feel that some of Beethoven's best piano music are within.
                          Well, of course I would not call Brendel my benchmark pianist (if such a person exists), but in London, at least, the set is available and is cheap for those who want to hear this music. I think Buchbinder has also done a set on TelDec.

------------------

Comment

Well, of course I would not call Brendel my benchmark pianist (if such a person exists), but in London, at least, the set is available and is cheap for those who want to hear this music. I think Buchbinder has also done a set on TelDec.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be looking for that.

Comment

Working...
                            X