No announcement yet.

Rare Page - An die Hoffnung Op94

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, Beethoven suffers by being such a great composer; it cannot be easy forcing music to fit pre-existing text, and there are obvious limitations, musically, with things like scansion, and pauses for breath. Hence, I guess, "unevenness".

Schubert had a more natural gift for songwriting; miniature-form was his forte.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      Again, Beethoven suffers by being such a great composer; it cannot be easy forcing music to fit pre-existing text, and there are obvious limitations, musically, with things like scansion, and pauses for breath. Hence, I guess, "unevenness".

Schubert had a more natural gift for songwriting; miniature-form was his forte.
      Many of B's songs are but a few bars of music, not intended to be performed outside the home. I don't think Beethoven had any grand intentions for these works! Whereas B's best songs are at least as good as ANYONES.

I have said before if it is anyone who has the most natural gift for the vocal line, more so even than Schubert, it is Handel (.....running...away...again.....!!).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I would say 'uneven quality' is a little harsh considering the intended purpose of the less significant numbers. However, you have missed out 'Kenst du das Land?' in your list. This is a class piece too (and will be on the rare page in due course).

Aside from the purpose, an example of what I mean is Op.83 where the last two of these Goethe songs are not up to the high level of the first 'Wonne der Wemuth'.
        Of course I will have missed many fine songs out, those were the ones that came to mind.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Aside from the purpose, an example of what I mean is Op.83 where the last two of these Goethe songs are not up to the high level of the first 'Wonne der Wemuth'.
          Of course I will have missed many fine songs out, those were the ones that came to mind.

Well I doubt that op83 were composed as a set in the manner of the 'Gellert' songs. B probably put them all together just to make the package more substantial. That being said I have no problem with B's more simple (or less serious) songs in their own context. B was not a composer to do everything on the grand scale, variety was his spice of life.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            Well I doubt that op83 were composed as a set in the manner of the 'Gellert' songs. B probably put them all together just to make the package more substantial. That being said I have no problem with B's more simple (or less serious) songs in their own context. B was not a composer to do everything on the grand scale, variety was his spice of life.

I have no problem with it either!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
              I have no problem with it either!

I'm sure you don't Peter. But I think making any statement about any apparent 'unevenness' of B's invention with regard to these songs cannot be done (though it always usually is) without considering points such as those I have mentioned above.

------------------

Comment

Working...
              X