About the first piano concerto.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the first piano concerto.

I was wondering about a bar of the solo part where the piano plays a high F#, not possible on beethoven's (and other's) pianos. It only came to my mind when I heard the John Eliot Gardiner's recording with a copy of a piano of that time, and the pianist, a brilliant one I may say, played it as a natural F, it doesn't get right when you think of the harmony issues.
    This part is after the tutti part when the first solo ends, still in the exposition, the piano enters again with the second main theme in G. When developing the theme it comes to the folowing: D-C#-D-C#-D-C#-D-C#(next bar)D-E-D-C#-D-F#-E-D-Cn. This is repeated in the reexposition in the end, but transposed to C, so that the F# becomes a B and this B is in the piano range.

I play this concerto a lot, I love playing it, it relaxes me, but now I don't know what should I be playing here instead of the F#, to keep the music reliable to its time, or if Beethoven himself changed it to a F#, until then, if any of you guys have somthing to say, I'll play it as a C natural....
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

I don't see the problem with that f# - a Walter piano of 1785 had 5 octaves and 2 notes ranging from 3 fs below middle C to 3 G's above. An Erard of 1803 went a 4th higher than that, so the F# was perfectly playable.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Rutradelusasa:
      I was wondering about a bar of the solo part where the piano plays a high F#, not possible on beethoven's (and other's) pianos.
      I think the only issue regarding keyboard span with this piece concerns the use of Beethoven cadenzas. We have discussed this before. Those for Concertos 1 and 2 were I think written for a piano beyond the 5 octave Walter, as they were composed much later. I believe he also added a few notes here and there on Concerto 3 to allow for the newer instruments. But every other piano piece written before the 'Waldstein' should be ok for a typical Viennese 5 octave instrument.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited July 26, 2002).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
      X