his most beautiful piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

his most beautiful piece?

This may be hard to answer, considering everyone's differing opinions of what is considered "beautiful," but I would love to know on what you consider some of Beethoven's most aesthetically-pleasing pieces.

A few off the top of my head (in no particular order)
    3rd movement to the 9th symphony
    2nd mvt to 7th symphony
    5th movement to String Quartet No. 13, op.130-- "Cavatina"
    3rd mvt. String Quartet Op. 132 (the one he wrote upon recovering from illness)
    2nd mvt to Piano Concerto No. 5
    2nd mvt Symphony No. 6
    "Moonlight Sonata"- 1st mvt.

The 2nd movement of the Tempest Sonata. Not the most beautiful, but a remarkable and tender piano piece which is unparalleled in Beethoven's pianistic work.

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
      This may be hard to answer, considering everyone's differing opinions of what is considered "beautiful," but I would love to know on what you consider some of Beethoven's most aesthetically-pleasing pieces.

My vote goes to the sublime adagio of the 5th Piano Concerto.

Comment

Well, the violin concerto is quite beautiful, not to mention the two violin romances. There are tons of others I can think of - piano sonatas, especially - but I think there is no more beautiful sound than that of a solo violin.

Comment

It is a hard question to answer as there are so many choices! I would have to agree with you on the 2nd mmv of Symphony#6, 2nd mmv of Symphony#7, & 1st mmv of The Moonlight. Add to that the 2nd mmv of The Moonlight, the 2nd mmv of The Pathetique and the 2nd mmv of the Piano Sonata#26 Les Adieux. All such lovely, beautiful pieces.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Ahh, yes, Joy. The 2nd movement to "Pathetique." I forgot about that one!
            I'll add another one. The 2nd movement to the Eroica (funeral march)is somber, yet very beautiful.

By the way, how do you make the jump from Junior Member to Member?

Comment

You must become my slave and do my bidding to the end of your days.

...or post 50 messages.

Comment

I can see that the 2nd movements are prefered by everybody. This is strange: why can't we prefer a Presto, like the ones of the moonlight or the appassionata?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                  I can see that the 2nd movements are prefered by everybody. This is strange: why can't we prefer a Presto, like the ones of the moonlight or the appassionata?
                  I think because the question refers to 'aesthetically pleasing pieces' and when I think of those terms I usually pick the slower mmv. However, I prefer a lot of the 3rd mmvs like The Appassionata, etc. Maybe that should be another question!

Comment

Because prestos are not 'beautiful' in the traditional sence of the word with regard to music. The questioner asks specifically for 'beautiful' pieces. I couldn't answer it really, though the violin concerto 2nd movement did come to mind, as did that of the quartet op95, but I cannot really choose. B's slow movements tend in include dynamic and intellectual elements that make them no so easily fit the 'beautiful' category that I think the questioner is referring to.

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                      You must become my slave and do my bidding to the end of your days.

...or post 50 messages.
                      A slave???? *laughing* You Beethoven fans are so Hillarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:

A few off the top of my head (in no particular order)
                        3rd movement to the 9th symphony
                        2nd mvt to 7th symphony
                        5th movement to String Quartet No. 13, op.130-- "Cavatina"
                        3rd mvt. String Quartet Op. 132 (the one he wrote upon recovering from illness)
                        2nd mvt Symphony No. 6
                        "Moonlight Sonata"- 1st mvt.

This one is going to be a hard one for me. I like all of beethoven's pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                          Because prestos are not 'beautiful' in the traditional sence of the word with regard to music. The questioner asks specifically for 'beautiful' pieces. I couldn't answer it really, though the violin concerto 2nd movement did come to mind, as did that of the quartet op95, but I cannot really choose. B's slow movements tend in include dynamic and intellectual elements that make them no so easily fit the 'beautiful' category that I think the questioner is referring to.

Well, maybe a fast tempo but very beatiful piece is the rondo-prestissimo from the Waldstein sonata (which I will listen played live by Daniel Barenboim the next month!)

Comment

Well, maybe a fast tempo but very beatiful piece is the rondo-prestissimo from the Waldstein sonata (which I will listen played live by Daniel Barenboim the next month!)
                            Fair enough, but beautiful is really not an adequate enough word to describe Beethoven's slow music. In the past I've used terms such as noble, sincere, heartfelt etc.

------------------
                            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-14-2002).]
                            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Enjoy your concert next month! We have a pianist from Arizona State University that performs a lot of Beethoven and gives free concerts. I saw The Waldstein & The Appassionata among others he performs and it's really great. He also explains the piece musically and tells about Beethoven's life. Very interesting way to give a concert.

Comment

Working...
                              X