Ode to Joy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ode to Joy

Well, I saw Ode to Joy live last night by the Florida Philharmonic. It was a great performance. For those who haven't seen this symphony live, it is truly an exhilarating experience!!!

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
    Well, I saw Ode to Joy live last night by the Florida Philharmonic. It was a great performance. For those who haven't seen this symphony live, it is truly an exhilarating experience!!!
    I'm glad you got to experience it. Was this the first time you saw the 9th performed live? It is an exhilarating experience and puts you on a natural high. I saw this live a few times. Twice with The Phoenix Symphony. Once I was sitting in the back and once I had seats right in front. I think I prefer the back seating as I had a good over view of everything and could see the soloists better.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy, it was the 1st performance that I have seen of the 9th. There were at least 100 people in the choir, so it was a very full sound when they sung (I have the Gardiner version on CD; the choir is a lot smaller, but of course, intentionally so). Is it true that Beethoven really preferred a smaller orchestra and choir?

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven1:
        Joy, it was the 1st performance that I have seen of the 9th. There were at least 100 people in the choir, so it was a very full sound when they sung (I have the Gardiner version on CD; the choir is a lot smaller, but of course, intentionally so). Is it true that Beethoven really preferred a smaller orchestra and choir?
        Would you go again? I would!! I'd never get tired of that one live! When I saw it the first time there were 124 people in the choir. The last time they were more, maybe 150. I believe when Wagner did the 9th he had 300 people in the choir. He always had to do things bigger than anyone else to match his ego. I don't know what Beethoven preferred and also does anyone know how big the choir was for his first performance on May 7th, 1824 at Kaerntner Theatre?

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 07-15-2002).]
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
        X