Adieu to the Piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adieu to the Piano

I play a piece of music called Adieu to the Piano which is supposedly bt Beethoven. It sound and plays like Beethoven, but I have been unable to find this piece on any listing of B's compositions. The sheet music I have has no opus number and does not have a date of composition. I would appreciate anything anyone could tell me about this piece.

Originally posted by Larry Rupp:
    I play a piece of music called Adieu to the Piano which is supposedly bt Beethoven. It sound and plays like Beethoven, but I have been unable to find this piece on any listing of B's compositions. The sheet music I have has no opus number and does not have a date of composition. I would appreciate anything anyone could tell me about this piece.
    I've got a couple of different versions of this, myself (as if it needed to be made any simpler) and I can check and see if my copies have any type of catologue identifiers. It is likely that the piece is not by Beethoven, but attributed to him.

Comment

There is another thread about this somewhere - use the search function to try and locate it. I believe we established that the piece was not actually by Beethoven.

Comment

It could chopin or Lizst. I have no idea about this piece.

Comment

Perhaps a movement from the Adieu Sonata, Op. 81a??

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
            Perhaps a movement from the Adieu Sonata, Op. 81a??
            I think anyone capable of playing this piece would know its name and composer!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have learned from another discussion group I participate in the following re Adieau to the Piano:

In "The Pianist's Guide to Standard Teaching nd Performance Literature" by Jane Mcgrath (Alfred Publishing, ISBN 088284-655-8), it discusses Adieu to the Piano in F Major Anh. 15 and says that Thayer, B's first biographer I believe, considered this piece to be B's last composition for the piano and he is the one who named it "Adieu". The fact that this piece has an Anhang number, as I understand it, means the piece cannot be definitely confirmed as by Beethoven.

Larry Rupp

Comment

By the by, anhang is German for appendix.

Comment

Working...
                X