Rare Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopithoven:
    And why all of them have the same ending?
    Ask Beethoven.

PS it occured to me that considering Beethoven did not publish this composition the title may not have been B's and if so what he would have called them is open to question. The title does give the impression of six self contained pieces that each would be different, in B's more typical manner with dances (though it is typical for them to be played consecutively), but obviously this is not the case in this piece.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-07-2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I think the eccosaises work just fine. And of course, as for the repetitive conclusions to each dance, B did exactly the same thing with his Ritterballet, WoO 1.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
        I think the eccosaises work just fine. And of course, as for the repetitive conclusions to each dance, B did exactly the same thing with his Ritterballet, WoO 1.
        I thought about mentioning the Ritterballet myself, but in this this case the repetitions are more isloated sections than we experience in these dances, where they are integrated into each number.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          And why all of them have the same ending?
          I suggest that the same endings for each "piece" is a chorus, repeated at the end of each verse.

Comment

I thought of the Ritterballet myself. I can see where there might be some confusion with this piece as it does sound like one continuos song, the same song throughout, much more so than with others.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I consider it to be one continuous song; much like a pop song with several verses and choruses. The dances are too short to be played separately.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                I consider it to be one continuous song; much like a pop song with several verses and choruses. The dances are too short to be played separately.
                I agree, the work is untypical for a set of B dances, as I have said. Perhaps it would be safer just to call it a Klavierstuck (albeit with dance-like themes) rather than a set of dances?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 07-09-2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                  I agree, the work is untypical for a set of B dances, as I have said. Perhaps it would be safer just to call it a Klavierstuck (albeit with dance-like themes) rather than a set of dances?
                  You could even call it an extended Rondo--A B C B E B F B G B H B (Although I still feel the different "verses" are variations of A).

Comment

Working...
                  X