Am I right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I right?

I have recently purchased Gould's edition of Bach's piano concertos Nos.1-5&7, and noticed that the Piano Concerto No.7 in g minor BWV1058 is the same than the violin concerto BWV1041, the only different thing is obviously the soloist instrument. Is this right?

Yes, actually, all of them were for other instruments in the first place, they were transcribed by the (then) amazed by the new invention, JSB.
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Isn't the D minor wonderful!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        Isn't the D minor wonderful!

Correct. But why did he transcribe the concert into a different key?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          Correct. But why did he transcribe the concert into a different key?
          I'm not sure that he did. I was just referring to the D minor piano concerto which I love!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Is that the D minor concerto for two pianos? I'm sure Bach transcribed that from a violin concerto in C minor, didn't he? I'm not sure.

Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kristof:
              Is that the D minor concerto for two pianos? I'm sure Bach transcribed that from a violin concerto in C minor, didn't he? I'm not sure.

Tom.
              No it is for one piano (keyboard) - BWV 1052, it is a revision of a now lost violin concerto and probably the greatest of the 14 or so concertos Bach re-arranged.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't know why he would have arranged it, if you ask any violinist around, they will answer you: D minor is the best key for the violin to play.
                "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Ha! I'll take E minor over D minor any day.

Comment

I'm not sure that he did. I was just referring to the D minor piano concerto which I love!

I'm saying that the original a minor violin concerto was transcribed into a g minor piano concerto.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                      I'm saying that the original a minor violin concerto was transcribed into a g minor piano concerto.
                      Well yes he did do this - I thought Rutradelusasa made that clear at the beginning. I just mentioned the D minor piano concerto as it a favourite of mine. He arranged around 14 concertos for one or more Harpsichords that had been originally for Violin, flute or oboe. In doing this, he was the first to make the Harpsichord the solo instrument in a concerto - it enabled him to enrich his contrapuntal writing for the solo instrument, thus giving it a domineering role over the orchestra. Prior to this, the harpsichord had been used merely as accompaniment to an orchestra.

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well yes he did do this - I thought Rutradelusasa made that clear at the beginning. I just mentioned the D minor piano concerto as it a favourite of mine. He arranged around 14 concertos for one or more Harpsichords that had been originally for Violin, flute or oboe. In doing this, he was the first to make the Harpsichord the solo instrument in a concerto - it enabled him to enrich his contrapuntal writing for the solo instrument, thus giving it a domineering role over the orchestra. Prior to this, the harpsichord had been used merely as accompaniment to an orchestra.

And is there a substantial difference on Bach's concerto transcriptions caused by the replacement of the harpsichord with the piano?

Comment

Working...
                        X