Pathetique Sonata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathetique Sonata

I am currently working on the Pathetique Sonata (C Minor), does anyone know a very good recording I can listen to?

I have a very good recording by Bernard Roberts and also Alfred Brendel. Both are a pleasure to listen to. Good luck with the Pathetique, it is a beautiful song to learn and to play. I love playing it, it brings much satifaction.
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I too suggest Brendel. However, if you check the topic on this board I posted on Badura-Skoda downloads, you will find a link to where you can download the complete Pathetique as an mp3 (and the other sonatas as well). It is a recording that uses a period piano, and it is quite well played.

Comment

Try Richard Goode (Elektra Nonesuch), or if you're into period instruments, Paul Komen (Globe)

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by The Lucid Man:
          I am currently working on the Pathetique Sonata (C Minor), does anyone know a very good recording I can listen to?
          My favoured recording is on a small French label but has long been deleted from the catalogue. It's by Jos van Immerseel using an original 1824 Graf fortepiano. Since this instrument is topical at the moment I might just supply an mp3 or 2 from this recording at this chain (and before anyone says anything I have far fewer moral qualms about 'borrowing' from a long deleted recording. This is in the interest of promoting fps and fp players!). Watch this space.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            My favoured recording is on a small French label but has long been deleted from the catalogue. It's by Jos van Immerseel using an original 1824 Graf fortepiano. Since this instrument is topical at the moment I might just supply an mp3 or 2 from this recording at this chain (and before anyone says anything I have far fewer moral qualms about 'borrowing' from a long deleted recording. This is in the interest of promoting fps and fp players!). Watch this space.

I won't say anything! Looking forward to that, Rod. It would be interesting to hear the 1824 Graf.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

I won't say anything! Looking forward to that, Rod. It would be interesting to hear the 1824 Graf.
              Rod, we are waiting for the 1824 Graf.

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                Rod, we are waiting for the 1824 Graf.
                Ok ok...feast you greedy seagulls....

Op13 - 1st movment

Op13 - 2nd movment

Op13 - 3rd movement

I expect some feedback for my generosity!

------------------

Comment

You are pretty generous, Rod, (and speedy too)no matter what others might say! Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the 3 mm's. The tone was very clear. Might I become a convert? Actually I do enjoy period instruments and might even start a collection. Thanks again!

Comment

You are pretty generous, Rod, (and speedy too)no matter what others might say! Seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the 3 mm's. The tone was very clear. Might I become a convert? Actually I do enjoy period instruments and might even start a collection. Thanks again!
                    Only 'pretty generous'? I'm speedy alright, but in other circumstances I can be reeeeeal slooow... nudge nudge... You MUST be a convert, lest you deny what you hear with your own ears. I look forward to Chris's assessment of this instrument!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 05-07-2002).]

Comment

Only 'pretty generous'? I'm speedy alright, but in other circumstances I can be reeeeeal slooow... nudge nudge... You MUST be a convert, lest you deny what you hear with your own ears. I look forward to Chris's assessment of this instrument!

I shall offer my humble opinion ASAP!

------------------
                      'Man know thyself'
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

All right, all right, what I meant to say was you're VERY, VERY generous! Is that better?! No, I don't deny what I hear especially when it's soooo good! I knew that 'speedy' remark would get me into trouble! (nudge, nudge to you too)!

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 05-07-2002).]

Comment

All right, all right, what I meant to say was you're VERY, VERY generous! Is that better?!
                          I am content.

I may add that those who wish to download the above tracks must do so quickly. They will not be there for long. I wonder if the original poster has had the good sence to take advantage of a free dinner!?

------------------

Comment

I LIKE the sound of that Graf! Haven't had the opportunity to listen to the entire work, but am hoping to do so tonight. It would certainly be nice if some of the electric (digital) keyboards could be programmed with some of the earlier pf models. I bet I would use that selection all the time when I play B's music.

Comment

My Yamaha Clavinova has a setting for a fortepiano, but it seems to be just the same sound as the grand piano, but less bright. There is no difference in the timbre in the lower notes from the upper notes, for example, as you would expect. I pretty much never use it; it is by far the worst and most useless sound on the thing.

But as to the recording of the Pathetique ... I'm still thinking. I'll get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X