Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deaf Community

Do you know anyways Beethoven has affected the Deaf Community

That's a pretty vague question. You mean of today? I'm sure he serves as a point of great inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Elise:
      Do you know anyways Beethoven has affected the Deaf Community
      I don't recall reading about any particular connection or commemoration of B by the deaf community as such.

The situation must be I suspect paradoxical for the deaf community, as by default they are in the strange position whereby they above all cannot appreciate the output of thier most famous member (accepting that B was only totally deaf towards the end of his life).

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

There is a deaf musician here at ASU and he said he looks to Beethoven for his inspiration to overcome his handicap.
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
          There is a deaf musician here at ASU and he said he looks to Beethoven for his inspiration to overcome his handicap.
          I wouldn't regard B as a particularly inspirational figure in this respect - it was his increasing deafness that ended B's days as a performer.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-30-2002).]

Comment

wow pretty interesting Joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I wouldn't regard B as a particularly inspirational figure in this respect - it was his increasing deafness that ended B's days as a performer.

I understand but that is what this particular musician said so he must look at Beethoven as inspirational in his own life and difficulties.

Comment

I understand but that is what this particular musician said so he must look at Beethoven as inspirational in his own life and difficulties.
                I think Beethoven is inspirational for us all. Aside from his deafness which at first he regarded as a social rather than a musical handicap, he suffered many other physical ailments. The lack of pain suppresing drugs found in the hair samples is testament to his courage.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Fair enough. If that is what he said, then it must be so!

------------------

Comment

Joy, it is remarkable to think that what we, sometimes, take for granted the 'voices' around us in our day to day lives. And here is a deaf man inspired by another of his kind to live beyond the restrictions our bodies may carry. It is a very precious gift to uplift anothers heart.

------------------
                    Stephen
                    Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen J. Wade:
                      Joy, it is remarkable to think that what we, sometimes, take for granted the 'voices' around us in our day to day lives. And here is a deaf man inspired by another of his kind to live beyond the restrictions our bodies may carry. It is a very precious gift to uplift anothers heart.

Exactly, Stephen. Ever since I discovered Beethoven, many years ago, I have never taken my hearing sense (sight or anything else for that matter)for granted. I think many people can find inspiration in a man like Beethoven. He had courage and strength to keep going after being inflicted and not only with deafness but other ailments as well. To be so ill for most of his life and make such beautiful music is inspirational in itself.
                      I seem to recall you saying that the PC#5 is going to be performed this coming concert season by you? It's going to be performed here in Phoenix next season as well. The pianist is Orion Weiss and I was wondering if that's the same person who will perform it by you? If it is, he's making the circuit here in the Southwest.
                      Joy

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 05-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Joy (edited 05-02-2002).]

Comment

Elise

Beethoven to me is a great inspiration because you can look to him and see what kind of accomplishes he has made. For example he overcame his deafness to write some of his most awesome works. When he wrote his music he wrote with his ear next to the sound board. So that way he can hear the vibrations of the strings and the hammer hitting the strings. When ever he conducted his music he would have a conductor stand next to him so that way when the music stops the other conductor can turn him around. Another example is that when he wrote the music he would write the music in his head and then write it down on paper.

jfienen25@yahoo.com if you are interested in talking more about B

Comment

Joy - Yes, the PC#5 is to be preformed next season with Andre Watts as pianist. Along with Schuberts' Symphony #9 & Mozarts' Cosi fan tutte Overture.

------------------
                          Stephen
                          Stephen

Comment

Working...
                          X