• Show
Clear All

Rare page

The Landlerische Tanze WoO15 are now available to members on the rare page
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

This is a good performance and great music - simple yet imaginative, one could even say profound.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-23-2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I like WoO 15 very much, but I think this is a case in which modern instruments would make the recording much better. A less shrill sound would be most welcome for this piece, especially for the 1st violin.

By the way, if none of you ever hear from me again, Rod killed me

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        I like WoO 15 very much, but I think this is a case in which modern instruments would make the recording much better. A less shrill sound would be most welcome for this piece, especially for the 1st violin.

By the way, if none of you ever hear from me again, Rod killed me
        On the contrary, if it was played in the typical modern manner, I expect it would sound somewhat superficial, and I assure you the strings would be far more shrill. Then add on top of that copious amounts of vulgar vibrato. Have no fear music fans, you will not find a better version than this one played in such a manner as that - I stake my own life on it!!

PS I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but they have B's Rondo op51 nr1 playing in a McDonalds TV ad here in UK!! Make of it what you will!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-24-2002).]

Comment

PS I could believe it what I heard it, but they have B's Rondo op51 nr1 playing in a McDonalds TV ad here in UK!! Make of it what you will!!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Glad to hear they're doing silly things like that in other countries and not just in this one!

Joy
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            The Landlerische Tanze WoO15 are now available to members on the rare page
            www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

I wish that I could see that page. How long before I become a member?

-Kitsune

Comment

You should have had the password mailed to you already. If you haven't, I'm sure you'll get it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                On the contrary, if it was played in the typical modern manner, I expect it would sound somewhat superficial, and I assure you the strings would be far more shrill. Then add on top of that copious amounts of vulgar vibrato. Have no fear music fans, you will not find a better version than this one played in such a manner as that - I stake my own life on it!!
                I don't disagree about the vibrato and general manner of playing, but it is possible to play appropriately, but using modern instruments. I have a set of the Mozart violin concertos that are as great a proof of this as anything could hope to be.

But surely you aren't telling me you think modern strings are more shrill than the period strings!? Sometimes I think when they said "catgut" back then, the cat was still attached!

Comment

Originally posted by Kitsune:
                  You should have received it, but you provide no email in your profile for me to contact you - email me and I will send you the password.

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                    I don't disagree about the vibrato and general manner of playing, but it is possible to play appropriately, but using modern instruments. I have a set of the Mozart violin concertos that are as great a proof of this as anything could hope to be.

But surely you aren't telling me you think modern strings are more shrill than the period strings!? Sometimes I think when they said "catgut" back then, the cat was still attached!
                    To my ears gut stringed violins have a certain dry edge but a smoother general texture especially with the high notes, this is partly due to the lesser amount of tension. Synthetic strings sound bland and unengaging, forget steel altogether.

On the other hand, in B's time the lower strings were sometimes bound (with silver, at least, from what I've read). I have heard these strings and have no problem with them. The issue conserns primarily the high strings.

As far as i am concerned the authentic recordings I have presented at this site are proof enough of their superiority. I could have done the same with Handel. Why do you think the Handel revival has occured in the Last decade? Because of synthetic stringing!!?? You can't even get a new handel recording on modern instruments these days - why do you think this is the case? The same should have been the case with Beethoven - one day!! Considering they were still using gut in the early 1900's - you're writing off a whole load of instrumental history Chris.

------------------

Comment

You should have received it, but you provide no email in your profile for me to contact you - email me and I will send you the password.

I though this post was going to be your comment on the music! I believe you have this recording Peter? Are you happy with these 'shrill' strings!?

------------------

Comment

I though this post was going to be your comment on the music! I believe you have this recording Peter? Are you happy with these 'shrill' strings!?

Actually I don't have a recording of the Landler - of the dance music I have WoO7, Woo8 and WoO14 from the DG complete (which is anything but!) I think this music is delightful and I have no problem with the 'shrill' strings! Is there an authentic set of the complete dance music available?

You're always plugging Handel on authentic instruments, so I'll take the opportunity to recommend Bach's violin Concertos 1&2 plus the double concerto with the Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood and Jaap Schroder on Decca - after hearing this no one would ever call Bach dull nor would they wish his music to be performed on modern instruments ever again!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Actually I don't have a recording of the Landler - of the dance music I have WoO7, Woo8 and WoO14 from the DG complete (which is anything but!) I think this music is delightful and I have no problem with the 'shrill' strings! Is there an authentic set of the complete dance music available?

You're always plugging Handel on authentic instruments, so I'll take the opportunity to recommend Bach's violin Concertos 1&2 plus the double concerto with the Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood and Jaap Schroder on Decca - after hearing this no one would ever call Bach dull nor would they wish his music to be performed on modern instruments ever again!

This disk had scottish songs as well (we had two of them on the rare page) and the trio WoO39. I discussed the trio with someone here saying it was a bit rushed and the person agreed. Who was the person who also had this disk I was 'talking' to? I thought it was you Peter.

There is no authentic set of dances as far as I am aware.

------------------

Comment

This disk had scottish songs as well (we had two of them on the rare page) and the trio WoO39. I discussed the trio with someone here saying it was a bit rushed and the person agreed. Who was the person who also had this disk I was 'talking' to? I thought it was you Peter.

God I'm a clot! You're absolutely right I do have that CD which I bought on your recommendation! It is excellent - interesting to note how the accompanying trio wasn't criticised when you posted the Scottish songs!

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

To my ears gut stringed violins have a certain dry edge but a smoother general texture especially with the high notes, this is partly due to the lesser amount of tension. Synthetic strings sound bland and unengaging, forget steel altogether.

On the other hand, in B's time the lower strings were sometimes bound (with silver, at least, from what I've read). I have heard these strings and have no problem with them. The issue conserns primarily the high strings.

As far as i am concerned the authentic recordings I have presented at this site are proof enough of their superiority. I could have done the same with Handel. Why do you think the Handel revival has occured in the Last decade? Because of synthetic stringing!!?? You can't even get a new handel recording on modern instruments these days - why do you think this is the case? The same should have been the case with Beethoven - one day!! Considering they were still using gut in the early 1900's - you're writing off a whole load of instrumental history Chris.
                              History is not the issue; the issue is that modern strings have a superior sound (to my ear). Baroque music would not sound at home on these strings, but Classical music (particularly Beethoven) does, in my opinion. I'm not particularly interested in listening to a piece in the most authentic manner possible, I'm interested in listing to a piece that sounds the best that it can (to me). Often, the former is an aspect of the latter (as with Handel), but sometimes not (as with Beethoven).

The day Beethoven is recorded on nothing but period instruments is the day I start working on my Bach collection.

On a personal note, I have tried many different kinds of strings on my violin, and I have been most satisfied with Dominant strings so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X