Ludwig van's piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ludwig van's piano

I saw a photo of Beethoven's Graf piano on this site, and noticed that it had much more than three pedals. Why? What is the function of each pedal?

The tonal ideals for Viennese pianos of the period 1810 to 1825 circle about brilliance, lightness and clarity, and mainly about tone color. There is variety of color from bass to treble and from one of the possible pedal effects, or combinations, to another. This piano had a typical array of pedals: Dampers (raising the dampers not only to produce after-ring and blending but also for an increase in volume); Moderator (a strip of cloth is inserted between the hammers and the strings for a velvet effect); Bassoon (a roll of parchment covered with silk is lowered onto the bass strings giving a buzzing reed or snare-drum effect. The bassoon is coupled to the moderator. The moderator can play alone, but the bassoon always engages the moderator.) This coupling was the custom on Streicher instruments and many others. The final pedal effect is the ethereal una corda which allowed the player to use just one string or two if half depressed, some pianos had the additional due corda pedal which allowed for two strings to be played.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
      I saw a photo of Beethoven's Graf piano on this site, and noticed that it had much more than three pedals. Why? What is the function of each pedal?
      I hadn't noticed this photo at this site, where is it? B's taste in pedals was conservative - there were models in Vienna which had at least 6 pedals - which operated, amongs other things, drums and cymbals!! These Items were usually included to the customers specifications.

Peter, if you want a pic of B's Broadwood, or any fp you know where to come.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Just read this again! As far as I am aware B's Graf only had three pedals, so it must be a different piano you saw.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I hadn't noticed this photo at this site, where is it? B's taste in pedals was conservative - there were models in Vienna which had at least 6 pedals - which operated, amongs other things, drums and cymbals!! These Items were usually included to the customers specifications.

Peter, if you want a pic of B's Broadwood, or any fp you know where to come.

I hadn't noticed it on the site either! His 1803 Erard has 4 pedals, the Graf has 3. I have pics of these two and yes I think it would be interesting perhaps to do a page on his Fp's. Have you many photos and do you have much info on them?

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I hadn't noticed this photo at this site, where is it? B's taste in pedals was conservative - there were models in Vienna which had at least 6 pedals - which operated, amongs other things, drums and cymbals!!

What do you mean the pedals operated drums and cymbals? Do you mean you could create the sound of drums and cymbals by the use of these pedals? This is something I'm not familiar with so thanks.
            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Just read this again! As far as I am aware B's Graf only had three pedals, so it must be a different piano you saw.

The photo I am refering to has been apparently removed. I downloaded it from this site very long ago, and when I tried to find it, I couldn't. However, you can see the photo here:
              http://archivospato.tripod.com/graf.jpg

Please tell me if this is the Graf piano or not.

Comment

NOTE - Tripod does not allow direct linking to images, so to see the picture, you will have to copy and paste it into the Address (URL) part of your browser.

Comment

I remember reading something about it, and looking at the picture as well. It's pretty strange to have a piano more than three pedals.

Comment

The photo I am refering to has been apparently removed. I downloaded it from this site very long ago, and when I tried to find it, I couldn't. However, you can see the photo here:
                    Please tell me if this is the Graf piano or not.
                    I don't recall having this photo on the site! However it is not a picture of the Graf, but the 1803 Erard (which is in the Kunsthistoriches Museum Vienna). It has 4 not 5 pedals, be careful not to count the shadows!
                    Thanks for posting this topic as I will get round to doing a page on Beethoven's pianos when time permits.

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 04-23-2002).]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                      I have pics of these two and yes I think it would be interesting perhaps to do a page on his Fp's. Have you many photos and do you have much info on them?

I'll sort you out some pics with info. You could use your own pics of the Graf and Erard which I could spec, I can provide the Broadwood with specs, plus other fp brands B would have used. Lots of good pics but many black & white.

------------------

Comment

I'll sort you out some pics with info. You could use your own pics of the Graf and Erard which I could spec, I can provide the Broadwood with specs, plus other fp brands B would have used. Lots of good pics but many black & white.

OK you can send me what you have. Try to send it as several emails if the files are large!

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                          NOTE - Tripod does not allow direct linking to images, so to see the picture, you will have to copy and paste it into the Address (URL) part of your browser.
                          Thanks for this advice for the public.
                          -----------------------------------------
                          I really counted the shadows. However, four pedals were not usual. I will be waiting the page about Beethoven's pianos.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                            What do you mean the pedals operated drums and cymbals? Do you mean you could create the sound of drums and cymbals by the use of these pedals? This is something I'm not familiar with so thanks.
                            The drum or whatever effect would be hidden inside the piano casing. Obviously not a big drum, but a drum nonetheless! I presented an MP3 on the Rare Page where such pedals were used for one of B's Marches for piano duet. Did you not hear it Joy?

------------------

Comment

The drum or whatever effect would be hidden inside the piano casing. Obviously not a big drum, but a drum nonetheless! I presented an MP3 on the Rare Page where such pedals were used for one of B's Marches for piano duet. Did you not hear it Joy?

Thanks for explaining that, Rod. No, I guess I must have missed that March for piano duet on the rare page. Must have been on vacation or something. Darn!!

Joy

'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                              X