question about brisk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about brisk

I captured a song titled "A brisk young lad" from the local classical music station. Does anyone know where it fits on the list of works?

------------------
    Henry Bungay
    Henry Bungay

I was hoping someone would be able to help you with this as I am at a loss! The only thing I could come up with was possibly the wonderful Op.108/7 Scottish song we featured a while back on the rare page, 'Bonny Laddie, Highland Laddie' - I doubt this is correct though!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks Peter, but it does't match. The first line is "There came a young lad". I can supply the first few bars as an mp3 file attached to e-mail if anyone wants to hear it.
      Henry Bungay

Comment

Originally posted by Henry618:
        Thanks Peter, but it does't match. The first line is "There came a young lad". I can supply the first few bars as an mp3 file attached to e-mail if anyone wants to hear it.
        You could do this, at least we could confirm if it is a Beethoven piece! If so it will most likely come from one of his collections of folk song arrangements, which included many British songs. I haven't a list of all of these songs however.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-18-2002).]
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I captured a song titled "A brisk young lad" from the local classical music station. Does anyone know where it fits on the list of works?

I checked the recording of the complete folksongs by Deutche Grammophon as listed at Amazon.com. All the tracks are listed (7 disks worth!) but there is no mention of a song with the title you mention. Are you sure its a Beethoven piece?

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            You could do this, at least we could confirm if it is a Beethoven piece! If so it will most likely come from one of his collections of folk song arrangements, which included many British songs. I haven't a list of all of these songs however.

Well I've checked all the titles of the folk-song arrangements and none match.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

It was announced as Beethoven. If you send me your e-mail address, I will attach the first few bars as mp3. The current file of almost 3 megs is a bit much for e-mail. I will need a few days to comply.
              Henry Bungay

Comment

I looked through my list of british,irish, & scottish folksongs, etc. and couldn't find a match either.
                Does your local music station have a websight? Mine does and you can click 'playlist' and look up the songs that were played at a certain day and time and find out the title, composer, etc. That might help.

Joy
                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Joy,
                  I have cassettes of Beethoven (170) captured from FM, and most are 10 to 20 years old. I have converted most of the rarer stuff to mp3. Your idea is good but doesn't work this time.

Thanks,

Henry
                  Henry Bungay

Comment

I have given a quick glance through all the lyrics in the folksong arrangements, and, while there are several mentions of "lads" and "laddies", nothing seems to fit the work described.
                    For good measure, I also went through the English translations of the Lieder and partsongs but no joy there, either.
                    Unfortunately, I can't download the MP 3, but if any more of the lyrics are available, I can have another look.

Michael

Comment

Michael,

I very much appreciate your effort. I put the file in my university archive at: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Biotech-Environ/
                      If you type this in and click on the file BriskLad.mp3, it should either download or go directly to your media player. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Henry
                      Henry Bungay

Comment

Michael,

I very much appreciate your effort. I put the file in my university archive at: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Biotech-Environ/
                        If you type this in and click on the file BriskLad.mp3, it should either download or go directly to your media player. Please let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Henry
                        I have listened to this MP3. The sound was very poor indeed (as was the singing!) but I would say quite comfortably this is not by Beethoven.

------------------

Comment

Rod,

Thanks very much.

Henry
                          Henry Bungay

Comment

Working...
                          X