Rare Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare Page

Cantate campestre WoO103 is now available on the rare page - so rare is this, we have little info to offer!

www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 04-10-2002).]
    'Man know thyself'

The lyrics supplied with the CD are for an Italian song, whereas this piece is actually sung in German - but these german lyrics do not seem to relate to the Italian as far as i can tell. Perhaps Claudie or any other German speaker can throw some light on this German version mp3?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-10-2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

As usual, I am unable to download the MP3's. The version I have is sung in Italian and the english translation is given as follows:

"Let us all thus sing
      a joyful toast
      to Giovanni.

May he live long,
      ever happy years,
      useful to the world,
      dear to his friends,
      the new Aesculapius
      of our days!

Long live Giovanni!
      May he live, and as usual
      continue to cure
      fevers and illnesses.

Long live Giovanni!
      May he live, and time
      suspends its wings
      and halt the passing
      of such fair days!

Is that the translation as given for the German version?
      I haven't heard it but I would imagine this song is more suitable in Italian.

Michael

Comment

Why can't you download the mp3's?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
          "Let us all thus sing
          a joyful toast
          to Giovanni"
          Who is Giovanni?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
            Who is Giovanni?
            Dr.Giovanni Malfatti.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

As usual, I am unable to download the MP3's. The version I have is sung in Italian and the english translation is given as follows:

Michael
              Thanks Michael, I'll add that to the rare page.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Is that the translation as given for the German version?
                I haven't heard it but I would imagine this song is more suitable in Italian.

Michael
                Your text is what I have on the CD liner, only here it is in Italian. What is being sung is in German however, and sounds something completely different to me, so I left the text out.

I can't see why you cannot download the track, unless your internet connection is too unstable.

There is actually more info about this piece than I first thought. Page 583 of 'Thayer's Life of Beethoven' is largely devoted to this piece and it's performance at the 'MalfattiFest' on June 24th (St John's day) 1814. This must have been some party as Malfatti still talked about it 50 years later. Beethoven was apparently 'thoroughly unbuttoned'. He played the piano part of the piece with 4 solo voices, and then went on to improvise.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-11-2002).]

Comment

I cannot hear the piece : I get a "gatekeeper" who ask me my password, I submit it and nothing happen...

I would like to help you about the german text of course !
                  Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                    I cannot hear the piece : I get a "gatekeeper" who ask me my password, I submit it and nothing happen...

I would like to help you about the german text of course !
                    Make sure you actually press the submit button and do not press the return key instead. If your password is correct you will access the page.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                      Why can't you download the mp3's?
                      I don't know. I usually get about a minute of music and then it stops downloading. I have no trouble with MIDI files, however, and generally I can use the net without any fuss.
                      My computer is about five years old so that may be the problem. I find it adequate to my needs.

Michael

Comment

I would recommend a double CD set from DGG - 453 794-2 - (Vol 18 of the Complete Edition but available separately).
                        It contains the song mentioned above as well as all the a cappella pieces which B composed as part of his studies with Salieri. It also contains all the canons on the same disc resulting in 70 tracks!
                        The other disc features secular vocal works, including many that have appeared on the rare page - "Primo amore" "No, non torbarti" etc. as well as the "Elegischer Gesang" and the "Opferleid", and the two comic-opera type works for bass and orchestra and much more.
                        In fact, the only well-known piece on this well-filled set is "Ah! perfido".
                        I imagine this set would cost about €25 or £20 and should be still easily available.

Michael

Comment

I don't know. I usually get about a minute of music and then it stops downloading. I have no trouble with MIDI files, however, and generally I can use the net without any fuss.
                          My computer is about five years old so that may be the problem. I find it adequate to my needs.

Michael

Try a download resumer program, like GetRight.

Comment

I would recommend a double CD set from DGG - 453 794-2 - (Vol 18 of the Complete Edition but available separately).

Michael
                            I agree this is definitely one of the more interesting volumes from the Complete Works Edition. It has taken me years to collect most of what you can buy here in one box. We could do an 'a cappella' piece or two for the rare page.

------------------

Comment

It is a nice birthday present... and I like this version...the problem is only that the choir does not pronounce enough the consons and, appart the word "Frolich" (happy) it is difficult to understand something clearly so I cannot write you the entire text. Anyway Malfatti was italian, so it was originnally written in italian... and must be sung in italian. The german are usual to translate everything ! The german version presented here does not suit the italian words anyway : it is adapted for "any occasion"" and the name "Giovanni" and the reference to him as a doctor is not there anymore. I have not the german text in my library, but I will try to find something. Musically this piece is very interesting, very well written.
                              Thank you Rod for this opportunity to listen such a rare piece in a good version (with a period instrument of course).
                              Claudie

Comment

Working...
                              X