Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, I have always loved listening to music. However, I have always been a rock fan. I love and have most albums from bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Metallica, Phish, Modest Mouse, GD . . .

Well, a couple of months ago, just for the hell of it, I put in a cd of LVB's 9th that was given to me for free (I had it for about 2years before I even took it out of the celophane). Needless to say I was blown away. Especially by the second song. I have downloaded a few of his other symphonies, namely the 5th, 6th, and 7th. Right now I cannot stop playing the last 3rd of his 7th. That song is absolutely amazing. I really did not like the 6th that much, the 5th was pretty good.

Hopefully, by what I have stated above some of you can point me in the right direction as to some of his other symphonies and concertos. I really like the music that favors the piano and violin, but I really dont dig the horn music so much.

Like I said, I am 25, and am kind of burnt out on the whole rock thing. I feel like I have played out any quality rock and roll, and none of the new stuff really interests me. Further, I am thoroughly unfamiliar with classical music. Any recommendations as to LVB's music or any other composers such as Mozart, Bach, or others would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael
    mikeandemilee@hotmail.com

Vivaldi's Four seasons is a good choice for the begginer. Also, you can get Mozart's Symphony No.40 in and his string serenade "Eine kleine nachtmusik".
    About piano music, Beethoven's sonata No.14 (the famous moonlight) and other ones, like the No.9, No.10 and No.12 are quite suitable for the novice.
    However, if you've been listening to that music for so many years, at 25 you might not be able to get involved with great music.

Comment

I'd suggest the 3rd Symphony and the 5th Piano Concerto (by Beethoven). These were two of my favorites when just getting into Classical music.

Sometimes it takes repeated listenings to fully appreciate a piece. I too did not much like the 6th Symphony when I first heard it, but now I couldn't do without it. So don't be afraid to give pieces another chance after some time has passed.

Also, be aware that lame recordings can often put you off to a piece. Seek out several recordings of the same piece and see what your tastes are.

I'm glad you have discovered the music of Beethoven. Your life will be richer for it.

Comment

Not to sound to defensive Chopitoven, but I almost didnt even post my question, because I knew I would encounter an elitist. My guess is that you have not listened to much, Floyd, Phish, Dead or any other of "that music."

Your right, it absolutely cannot compare, technically, with classical music. But I dont listen to music based upon how hard I think it may be to play. I listen to it for how it makes me feel. The kind of music I listened above is more free flowing, and less based upon structure. That is why alot of people just think it is noise and never really get it. My guess is, with my openness to new music, it won't be to late for me. But it may be for you. Dont get stuck in a rut, try new things. You may be suprised.

Comment

Originally posted by bringdapayne:
          Not to sound to defensive Chopitoven, but I almost didnt even post my question, because I knew I would encounter an elitist. My guess is that you have not listened to much, Floyd, Phish, Dead or any other of "that music."

Your right, it absolutely cannot compare, technically, with classical music. But I dont listen to music based upon how hard I think it may be to play. I listen to it for how it makes me feel. The kind of music I listened above is more free flowing, and less based upon structure. That is why alot of people just think it is noise and never really get it. My guess is, with my openness to new music, it won't be to late for me. But it may be for you. Dont get stuck in a rut, try new things. You may be suprised.
          I'm not such an elitist as you think. I don't hear only classical music. But those groups you mentioned are under my requirements level. I can hear John Lennon or Queen (not so much), but not so much.
          The other things are just too simple for me.
          And if I were an absolute elitist, that wouldn't be so bad, because classical music is not something only "hard to play". Virtuosism is not the fundamental part of great music. And structures and forms are not the ONLY fundamental parts of music. The expression of feelings is much more elaborated here than in Pink Floyd.

Comment

Like I said, I am 25, and am kind of burnt out on the whole rock thing. I feel like I have played out any quality rock and roll, and none of the new stuff really interests me. Further, I am thoroughly unfamiliar with classical music. Any recommendations as to LVB's music or any other composers such as Mozart, Bach, or others would be greatly appreciated.
            Heck with your selection of bands above no wonder you are 'burnt out' on the rock thing, if you were an AC/DC fan such words would never be written. I 'm not surprised you found the 6th not so interesting, it is the worst performed of all the symphonies. Played correctly (ie in a manner that does not send you to sleep) it is a masterpiece, perfect in itself.

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
            http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Well I'm pleased you did post and I admire your broad tastes which are now encompassing the greatest classical composer of all - Beethoven!
              As you particularly like the piano and Violin, I suggest you try Beethoven's 4th and 5th piano concertos and the Violin concerto.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

Sometimes it takes repeated listenings to fully appreciate a piece. I too did not much like the 6th Symphony when I first heard it, but now I couldn't do without it. So don't be afraid to give pieces another chance after some time has passed.

I certainly have to echo this piece of advice. When I first picked up the 5th Piano Concerto I did not like it. Today, after listening to it many, many times it has become my very favorite of all Beethoven's works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  I'd suggest the 3rd Symphony and the 5th Piano Concerto (by Beethoven). These were two of my favorites when just getting into Classical music.

Also, be aware that lame recordings can often put you off to a piece. Seek out several recordings of the same piece and see what your tastes are.

I'm glad you have discovered the music of Beethoven. Your life will be richer for it.
                  I agree that sometimes it takes repeated listening to turn you on to a certain piece of music. I had the same reaction to the 6th Symphony myself. Didn't think much of it at first ad now think it's one of the most beauiful written. Of course, with the 9th Symphony I only had to hear that once to be totally reeled into Beethoven.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Also try any of his piano sonatas that are titled. Opus 13 'Pathetique', Opus 27/2 'Moonlight Sonata', and Opus 57 his 'Apassionata' is sure to blow you away!
                    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I, too, am surprised that you have given up on rock n' roll already without even having listed AC/DC as a band you often listen to. They are pretty much the only thing that is keeping rock ALIVE these days. Do yourself a favor and buy Let There Be Rock, right now. Then move on to Back In Black or Powerage. I will guide you further if your interest is piqued. Ride on.

Comment

I guess I should clarify, bjorkster, I have not given up on rock and roll. I have LZ4 in my car stereo right now. I just desire something new. Just imagine if you have been eating only chocolate for 10 years, you may want to try some cinnamon (along with a diet!). That doesn't mean you will never eat chocolate again.

You guys like AC/DC dont you?! I do to. I have owned Back in Black, and Who made Who since I was in elementary school. I have downloaded other of their songs and copied other albums from my friends and even saw them in concert in Winnepeg, Canada while visiting my cousin about 5 years ago. They are a great band for sure!

As to the other posts, thank you very much for the input. You have been very accomodating and friendly.

Comment

As I may have mentioned once or twice, I'm a Queen man, myself. Too bad I never got to see them live

Comment

I guess I should clarify, bjorkster, I have not given up on rock and roll. I have LZ4 in my car stereo right now. I just desire something new. Just imagine if you have been eating only chocolate for 10 years, you may want to try some cinnamon (along with a diet!). That doesn't mean you will never eat chocolate again.
                            I remember seeing AC/DC with Bon Scott on their first tour of USA, a quarter arena show. A very wild sonic experience. But until I, too, unwrapped a dusty Beethoven cd, I never really knew music at all. The depths of his insight and passions are like a cauldron of light to me now.
                            You guys like AC/DC dont you?! I do to. I have owned Back in Black, and Who made Who since I was in elementary school. I have downloaded other of their songs and copied other albums from my friends and even saw them in concert in Winnepeg, Canada while visiting my cousin about 5 years ago. They are a great band for sure!

As to the other posts, thank you very much for the input. You have been very accomodating and friendly.
                            Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                              Well I'm pleased you did post and I admire your broad tastes which are now encompassing the greatest classical composer of all - Beethoven!

At last, Peter, you have admitted that Beethoven is the greatest classical composer! On a previous thread, we failed to tie you down on that one.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X