• Show
Clear All

One of my favorite operas:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	61XnqKIBIVL.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	116960
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Oh God, listen to the wrong notes as you follow the score (not good quality, sadly). Horowitz Chopin Ballade No. 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1Olvh7vCU

Comment

Originally posted by Schenkerian View Post
        Oh God, listen to the wrong notes as you follow the score (not good quality, sadly). Horowitz Chopin Ballade No. 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1Olvh7vCU
        Still a barnstorming performance, despite the slips! The tempi of some of those passages is incredible. I've played the G minor Ballade and it is a minefield, especially that coda.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLb2lX-GYTI

Comment

A rare interview (with subtitles) with Martha Argerich.

'Man know thyself'

Comment

(Thanks Peter for that.) And a rare thing to listen to. Martha Argerich and Daniel Baremboin playing The Rite of Spring.

Comment

[QUOTE=Enrique;n116968](Thanks Peter for that.) And a rare thing to listen to. Martha Argerich and Daniel Baremboin playing The Rite of Spring.

Yes indeed quite remarkable - can you imagine being present when Debussy (sight reading!) and Stravinsky performed this in 1912?
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to Beethoven 6th Symphony and Leonore no.3 - both with Karajan and the BPO.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Listening to Beethoven 6th Symphony and Leonore no.3 - both with Karajan and the BPO.
                    If it's the 1963 recording, I think Karajan shouldn't have been let within a mile of the Pastoral. He treats it as a minor annoyance between the 5th and the 7th. He omits the repeats in the first movement and even in the scherzo, and the whole recording lacks atmosphere.
                    However, when it comes to Leonore No. 3 he's in top form.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If it's the 1963 recording, I think Karajan shouldn't have been let within a mile of the Pastoral. He treats it as a minor annoyance between the 5th and the 7th. He omits the repeats in the first movement and even in the scherzo, and the whole recording lacks atmosphere.
                      However, when it comes to Leonore No. 3 he's in top form.
                      No, it's the 1984 version, part of a complete set recorded in stages around the mid 80s, not my favourite recordings of the symphonies.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

No, it's the 1984 version, part of a complete set recorded in stages around the mid 80s, not my favourite recordings of the symphonies.
                        I have that set too but I can't remember if he behaved himself in the Pastoral. My all-time favourite is Karl Bohm with Bernstein (NYPO) a close second.

Comment

This awesome opera:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	51mIpBZgwxL.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	117005
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Chamber version of Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGuoxoJCdsc

Comment

Interesting phrasing, and the smaller orchestra brings out textures I hadn't noticed.
                              I was really hesitant about getting this set. But so glad I pulled the trigger.
                              You don't necessarily need Beethoven to be "big band" to be exciting.
                              A nice alternative to traditional sets.
                              But, of course, I will never give up my Karajan.

IClick image for larger version

Name:	AdamFischer.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	117022
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                                Chamber version of Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGuoxoJCdsc
                                Appropriate in a Covid era! Is this the Del mar edit of the Sextet version popular in Beethoven's time?
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X