X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Beethoven - Symphony No. 2 (Zinman)

This is the Beethoven symphony I tend to neglect for some reason, and every once in a while I get the urge to come back to it, and every time I do it's better than I remember.
    I will not say how old I am, but I am OLD. Well, maybe I can just say Old. With one capital letter instead of 3. During my long life, I’ve probably listened to only the 5th and the 9th more than the 2nd and the 8th. I just really love those two even-numbered treats.

Right now, as per other recent postings, I’m exploring music from Gluck’s opera Orpheus and Eurydice. Some exquisite arias and instrumental adagios. The several ballets in acts two and three give more scope for instrumental pieces than other operas.
    Last edited by Chaszz; 03-22-2021, 06:10 PM.
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
      I will not say how old I am, but I am OLD. Well, maybe I can just say Old. With one capital letter instead of 3. During my long life, I’ve probably listened to only the 5th and the 9th more than the 2nd and the 8th. I just really love those two even-numbered treats.

Right now, as per other recent postings, I’m exploring music from Gluck’s opera Orpheus and Eurydice. Some exquisite arias and instrumental adagios. The several ballets in acts two and three give more scope for instrumental pieces than other operas.
      Not as old as Beethoven though Chaszz and he's still going strong! I've always loved the 8th as well - somehow it's the only one of the 9 that I don't have to go a while before hearing again.

Listening to Delius (who couldn't stand Beethoven!) conducted by Thomas Beecham - seems just right for the arrival of Spring, but I'm still waiting to hear the first Cuckoo!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

A most wonderful Mesiah performance!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlR9AAYMa3A
        The live concerts by The Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square have been cancelled due to COVID-19. However, the previously-recorded 2018 Messiah performance by the Choir and Orchestra, with world-class soloists, has been refreshed for a new premiere experience on YouTube.

CONDUCTOR
        Mack Wilberg
        ORGANISTS
        Andrew Unsworth and Brian Mathias
        SOLOISTS
        Amanda Woodbury, soprano
        Tamara Mumford, mezzo-soprano
        Tyler Nelson, tenor
        Tyler Simpson, bass-baritone
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

John Foulds: "April - England" - on a very cold April day here!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbIJ1lo6JE&ab_channel=AntPDC[/YOUTUBE]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Some lovely music here (particularly the opening movement) from Josef Suk's 'Fairy tale'

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sbqu4d25hg&ab_channel=RiaBrezova[/YOUTUBE]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Listening to Delius (who couldn't stand Beethoven!) conducted by Thomas Beecham - seems just right for the arrival of Spring, but I'm still waiting to hear the first Cuckoo!
              Love his "On Cooking the First Hero in Spring."

Along with Parry's "Best Pair of Nylons."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Love his "On Cooking the First Hero in Spring."

Along with Parry's "Best Pair of Nylons."
                Thanks, I needed that!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  Thanks, I needed that!
                  I'm sure.

Comment

I'm sure.
                    In the 20 minutes each morning that I drive to work I hear that particular Delius work more often than I hear all the works by Beethoven in that time on the local radio. It drives me cuckoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      In the 20 minutes each morning that I drive to work I hear that particular Delius work more often than I hear all the works by Beethoven in that time on the local radio. It drives me cuckoo!

I never realized Delius was that popular outside the UK. Or is it just an enthusiast on your local radio?
                      At least it's preferable to the "Cuckoo Waltz".

Comment

I never realized Delius was that popular outside the UK. Or is it just an enthusiast on your local radio?
                        At least it's preferable to the "Cuckoo Waltz".
                        I think it's the local radio. For a long time they were into Bizet and I heard every imaginable iteration of Carmen that I thought was possible. It even came to the point that I could tune into his Symphony in C at any given spot and know that is what was playing.

Comment

Was not familiar with Schubert until a friend encouraged me to listen to some symphonies. I am hooked, Just purchased this set. Only thing is that the liner notes are not in English in this set. Nice packaging, clamshell, cardboard sleeves, nice artwoork on the sleeves and disks.
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            Was not familiar with Schubert until a friend encouraged me to listen to some symphonies. I am hooked, Just purchased this set. Only thing is that the liner notes are not in English in this set. Nice packaging, clamshell, cardboard sleeves, nice artwoork on the sleeves and disks.
                            A good friend indeed! If you're not too familiar with Schubert, aside from the lovely Impromptus and Moments Musicaux, the last 2 piano trios, the String quintet and last 3 piano sonatas (especially the Bb major) are a must.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuhLElaCeis

Krystian Zimerman's recent Beethoven piano concerto cycle is currently up on youtube for a limited time. I had tickets to see him perform them but due to obvious reasons I missed out. Hopefully one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                A good friend indeed! If you're not too familiar with Schubert, aside from the lovely Impromptus and Moments Musicaux, the last 2 piano trios, the String quintet and last 3 piano sonatas (especially the Bb major) are a must.
                                Don't forget the songs!

Comment

Working...
                                X