This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now ?

Prokofiev sonata 7 - here's the incredible 3rd movt precipitato. a tour de force from Pollini.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rfle8wSwJM&ab_channel=ClassicalScores[/YOUTUBE]
    'Man know thyself'

Beethoven - Symphony No. 2 (Zinman)

This is the Beethoven symphony I tend to neglect for some reason, and every once in a while I get the urge to come back to it, and every time I do it's better than I remember.

Comment

I was wondering what Beethoven's work best fit the mood currently in the US following the election.

The storm from the Pastorale... I just listened to it and yup! that's about as accurate as it can be

Comment

Offenbach's Les Larmes de Jacqueline

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmBJLI4kVw&ab_channel=biluka [/YOUTUBE]
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
          I was wondering what Beethoven's work best fit the mood currently in the US following the election.

The storm from the Pastorale... I just listened to it and yup! that's about as accurate as it can be
          I'd suggest the Grosse Fuge!

Comment

I listened to the Hanover Band's 2020 performance of Beethoven's 1st Symphony:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PWDnyZmyFk

I had their cycle on CD but the recording method was strange and it affected the sound, but this is great (and there are more--see notes below the video).

Other than that Ihave been listening to Wagner's Meistersinger a lot on CD and DVD over the past 6-8 weeks.
            Last edited by Harvey; 11-12-2020, 04:20 AM.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I've been listening to Schumann's 2nd Symphony. Notwithstanding the criticisms I still do not feel that the orchestration is "too" muddy.

Comment

I've posted this before a while back - Hans Rott Symphony no.1. An amazing work that was written when he was 20. It influenced Mahler who admired it greatly - that's quite apparent especially in the Scherzo (18'20). Notice people wearing face masks in the audience at this Feb 2019 Tokyo performance!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QuTqKmi1WA&t=1837s&ab_channel=TitannAko[/YOUTUBE]
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

I've been listening to Schumann's symphonies (Roy Goodman and his Hanover Band).

Comment

I have half a dozen Missa Solemnis recordings but always come back to this one.
                    Oddly, the tenor is not listed on the cover but he is a noteworthy tenor according to this:
                    http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Lewis-Richard.htm
                    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Will be listening to.. BBC Radio 3 at midday. Composer of the week featuring Beethoven.
                      Pain and persistence.
                      I know Michael likes to listen to the radio.
                      🎹

Comment

Comment

Ah, the Zinman/Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich set is one of my favorites!

I still miss David Zinman at the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                            Will be listening to.. BBC Radio 3 at midday. Composer of the week featuring Beethoven.
                            Pain and persistence.
                            I know Michael likes to listen to the radio.
                            Yes indeed, Megan. Although - and I never thought I'd say it - there is almost too much Beethoven content. However, it's his year - bad and all as it was.

Every second week on BBC Beethoven is featured as "Composer of the Week" and every Saturday night, John Suchet has an hour long programme on Classic FM.

Google and YouTube also have launched an online Beethovenfest called "Global Ode to Joy."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Yes indeed, Megan. Although - and I never thought I'd say it - there is almost too much Beethoven content. However, it's his year - bad and all as it was.

Every second week on BBC Beethoven is featured as "Composer of the Week" and every Saturday night, John Suchet has an hour long programme on Classic FM.

Google and YouTube also have launched an online Beethovenfest called "Global Ode to Joy."

I really enjoyed this presentation by Donald MacLeod.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                              String Quartet in A minor, Op 132 (1st mvt)
                              Ensemble: Alban Berg Quartett.
                              WARNER 2434768202. WARNER. 19.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Andante maestoso in C major WoO 62
                              Performer: Daniel Hope. Performer: Ikki Opitz. Performer: Amihai Grosz. Performer: Tatjana Masurenko. Performer: Daniel Müller‐Schott.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Piano Concerto No 2 in B flat major, Op 19 (2nd mvt)
                              Performer: Mitsuko Uchida. Orchestra: Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. Conductor: Kurt Sanderling.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Piano Sonata No 14 in C sharp minor, Op 27, No 2 "Moonlight" (1st mvt)
                              Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy. Conductor: Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Symphony No 5 in C Minor, Op 67 (4th mvt)
                              Orchestra: Vienna Philharmonic. Conductor: Carlos Kleiber.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000q22s
                              Last edited by Megan; 12-05-2020, 05:00 AM.
                              🎹

Comment

Working...
                              X