Beethoven at Parnassus, Part I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven at Parnassus, Part I

This is the topic for the next two weeks on Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin.

"This is a festival of the late music of Beethoven, from the last ten years of his life. Parnassus refers to the great mountain that towered over Delphi in Greek legend, and was the home of the Muses. In these years from 1816 to 1826, Beethoven soared to almost mythological heights with some of his greatest works—the Ninth Symphony, last four piano sonatas, Missa Solemnis, and his final string quartets. All of these compositions still sit at the top of Mt. Parnassus."

Bill McGlaughlin brings a lot of experience, as a former conductor, player, and student of music. I highly recommend tuning in if you are able.

Last night they aired a recording of Brendel playing the Hammerklavier. It was interesting to me that in the last movement, just before the music actually "takes off" it seemed as if Beethoven were toying with ideas and I felt a touch of uncertainty in those measures.

Comment

Tonight features Sonatas #30 and 31 (Schnabel and Uchida playing respectively).

Comment

Thanks for this, Sorrano. I've been able to find it online here but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

https://www.wfmt.com/2020/08/10/beet...rnassus-part-i

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
          Last night they aired a recording of Brendel playing the Hammerklavier. It was interesting to me that in the last movement, just before the music actually "takes off" it seemed as if Beethoven were toying with ideas and I felt a touch of uncertainty in those measures.
          He does much the same in the final movement of the Ninth symphony - except he uses themes from the previous movements.
          In the Grosse Fuge he again does something similar - but this time he outlines the themes that are to come in the course of the movement.

Comment

There is a certain thrill I get out of listening to these later sonatas and that is a sense of improvisation in the music. There is a feel of it, notwithstanding the forms, etc. Bill does point out that these sonatas do point to the 9th Symphony.

Tonight the Diabelli Variations and the final Sonata are on schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              In the Grosse Fuge he again does something similar - but this time he outlines the themes that are to come in the course of the movement.
              My obsession with this piece has resurfaced over the last couple of weeks, and every time this happens I gain a new appreciation for the structure of the piece and the uses of these themes. Setting them out at the beginning like that was smart indeed!

Comment

If felt good to listen to the final Piano Sonata (played by Brendel). In the past year or two I've had a tougher time connecting with Beethoven's music, mostly because of the same, repeated, limited repertoire that the local classical music station airs. Last night I felt like I had come home and was brought to tears at the sublime performance.

Tonight there are several excerpts from the symphonies and I speculate that the host is looking at the symphonic progression to the 9th.

Comment

Yesterday featured a nice journey through the symphonies to the 9th. The first two movements were aired and tonight will be the last two.

Comment

Last night the program consisted of the last two movements of the 9th symphony (movement 3 was conducted by Furtwangler and movement 4 by Bernstein). The 4th movement went at a breakneck speed that if it had not worked so well for me I would have said it was way to fast. For having some apathy toward his music in the past couple of years this last week has been very moving and renewing. Next week is part II and will at least deal with the Missa Solemnis, but I might speculate that the final quartets will probably be included.

Comment

Working...
                    X