Music on Voyager Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music on Voyager Record

MUSIC ON VOYAGER RECORD: Bach, Brandenburg Concerto No. 2 in F. First Movement, Munich Bach Orchestra, Karl Richter, conductor. 4:40 Java, court gamelan, "Kinds of Flowers," recorded by Robert Brown. 4:43 Senegal, percussion, recorded by Charles Duvelle. 2:08 Zaire, Pygmy girls' initiation song, recorded by Colin Turnbull. 0:56 Australia, Aborigine songs, "Morning Star" and "Devil Bird," recorded by Sandra LeBrun Holmes. 1:26 Mexico, "El Cascabel," performed by Lorenzo Barcelata and the Mariachi México. 3:14 "Johnny B. Goode," written and performed by Chuck Berry. 2:38 New Guinea, men's house song, recorded by Robert MacLennan. 1:20 Japan, shakuhachi, "Tsuru No Sugomori" ("Crane's Nest,") performed by Goro Yamaguchi. 4:51 Bach, "Gavotte en rondeaux" from the Partita No. 3 in E major for Violin, performed by Arthur Grumiaux. 2:55 Mozart, The Magic Flute, Queen of the Night aria, no. 14. Edda Moser, soprano. Bavarian State Opera, Munich, Wolfgang Sawallisch, conductor. 2:55 Georgian S.S.R., chorus, "Tchakrulo," collected by Radio Moscow. 2:18 Peru, panpipes and drum, collected by Casa de la Cultura, Lima. 0:52 "Melancholy Blues," performed by Louis Armstrong and his Hot Seven. 3:05 Azerbaijan S.S.R., bagpipes, recorded by Radio Moscow. 2:30 Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, Sacrificial Dance, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky, conductor. 4:35 Bach, The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 2, Prelude and Fugue in C, No.1. Glenn Gould, piano. 4:48 Beethoven, Fifth Symphony, First Movement, the Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer, conductor. 7:20 Bulgaria, "Izlel je Delyo Hagdutin," sung by Valya Balkanska. 4:59 Navajo Indians, Night Chant, recorded by Willard Rhodes. 0:57 Holborne, Paueans, Galliards, Almains and Other Short Aeirs, "The Fairie Round," performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London. 1:17 Solomon Islands, panpipes, collected by the Solomon Islands Broadcasting Service. 1:12 Peru, wedding song, recorded by John Cohen. 0:38 China, ch'in, "Flowing Streams," performed by Kuan P'ing-hu. 7:37 India, raga, "Jaat Kahan Ho," sung by Surshri Kesar Bai Kerkar. 3:30 "Dark Was the Night," written and performed by Blind Willie Johnson. 3:15 Beethoven, String Quartet No. 13 in B flat, Opus 130, Cavatina, performed by Budapest String Quartet. 6:37
    Interesting, right?

No Handel??!!!!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-22-2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

No Wagner and no Chopin

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        No Wagner and no Chopin
        Well, at least they got something right...

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          Well, at least they got something right...

Are you meaning that Wagner and Chopin don't deserve to be selected between the greatest ones?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
            Are you meaning that Wagner and Chopin don't deserve to be selected between the greatest ones?
            If one is concerned with 'the greatest ones', I believe the gentleman is correct.

------------------

Comment

Chopin does. Wagner...eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                Chopin does. Wagner...eh.
                Ok, I'll include a Chopin piece, just because my birthday's comming up soon and I've got some leave booked, so I'm in a good mood, but make sure it's a short piece! Forget Wagner birthday or no.

------------------

Comment

Thanks Chopithoven for posting the complete list of what classical music is on the Voyager Record. I've often wondered about that. I knew of some of the list but not all.
                  Just for history's sake, in the 1970's the record was the brainstorm of the late Carl Sagan and Louis Friedman of The Planetary Society in California. It also includes images of DaVinci art and some famous quotes from vintage TV shows.

Joy
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
                    Thanks Chopithoven for posting the complete list of what classical music is on the Voyager Record. I've often wondered about that. I knew of some of the list but not all.
                    Just for history's sake, in the 1970's the record was the brainstorm of the late Carl Sagan and Louis Friedman of The Planetary Society in California. It also includes images of DaVinci art and some famous quotes from vintage TV shows.

Joy
                    Thanks Joy

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      Ok, I'll include a Chopin piece, just because my birthday's comming up soon and I've got some leave booked, so I'm in a good mood, but make sure it's a short piece! Forget Wagner birthday or no.

Just one thing : CHOPIN did not like so much the music of Beethoven (except the opus 26 he payed sometimes). I even refused to collaborated with LISZT for the BEETHOVEN's monument in BONN (see his correspondance !).
                      Anyway I still like CHOPIN's works.

On the other side, WAGNER was crazy about BEETHOVEN... and I cannot listen WGANER's music a long time.

The last quatuors open the way to SCHUMANN, CHOPIN, LISZT and others . BEETHOVEN broke the rules.

And when your hate of romanticism is too much for you, remember it is Franz LISZT who said "BEETHOVEN's name is holy in Art".

Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                        Just one thing : CHOPIN did not like so much the music of Beethoven (except the opus 26 he payed sometimes). I even refused to collaborated with LISZT for the BEETHOVEN's monument in BONN (see his correspondance !).
                        Anyway I still like CHOPIN's works.

On the other side, WAGNER was crazy about BEETHOVEN... and I cannot listen WGANER's music a long time.

The last quatuors open the way to SCHUMANN, CHOPIN, LISZT and others . BEETHOVEN broke the rules.

And when your hate of romanticism is too much for you, remember it is Franz LISZT who said "BEETHOVEN's name is holy in Art".

Please don't misunderstand me, despite my show of meekness above, I have no interest in Chopin or his music whatsoever, Claudie. I don't agree that Beethoven opened the way to anything, because everything after him is 3rd class by B's standard. If they apreciated B's work, this is irrelevant - it is clear their own musical agenda was something quite different.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 04-01-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                        X