Variations on a late Beethoven Adagio sketch for a sring quartett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variations on a late Beethoven Adagio sketch for a sring quartett

A few months ago I presented to you a very beautiful Adagio melody sketch found among Beethoven's sketches for his quartett op. 130 . I liked this theme so much that in the last 2 weeks I wrote a variation movement for string quartett on this.

It starts with the naked theme, then it is repeated with an added bass line and a second part from me, then 7 variations follow:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quar...variations.mp3

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth_quar...variations.pdf

I hope it will speak to you ... and I am open for any suggestions for improvement ...

Gerd

Very enjoyable and I'm pleased you're managing to use your time so profitably under these circumstances. I've only listened the once so I can only give initial impressions which aren't always reliable! I thought you were at your best in the Adagio espressivo and I really like your bass and completion in the opening theme. The weakest section I felt was the con moto with the accompaniment rhythm too repetitive and this also continued into the Allegro. What are your feelings on this?
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Peter,
      thank your for your remarks. You were right regarding the bass line in the variations "con moto" and Allegro. I added now some additional counter motifs in the bass, and I do like it now a lot!

Gerd

Comment

Dear Peter,

I composed now a further variation at 6:26 - a fugato Allegro con spirito, which was a real pleasure to write in the last 4 days. Please listen again to the updated file.(in the score at m.97)

Gerd

Comment

Again, very enjoyable and your pleasure in writing it comes through - you have a real talent!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Very good work. A labour of love, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
            X