newbie--and question, too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris:

In any case, the performance on this recording is quite good. It seems like a good disc, but alas there are so many things to buy! Next on my list is a complete set of the Mozart Symphonies - quite an investment! I am looking at the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music set, but am not sure yet.
    What can you tell me about the Beethoven Symphonies Hogwood recorded? I was impressed by the 1st and 3rd, but that was years ago when I heard them.

Comment

They actually have deal going on at Amazon.com right now where you can buy the Hogwood/AAM Mozart and Beethoven symphonies together and save some money.

I have 7, and it seems pretty good. I couldn't say anything about any of the others, though, as I haven't heard them. If Rod has heard them, I'd be interested to see what he thinks of them compared to his favored Hanover Band set.

Comment

As to Rod's Op. 11. It is good - one of the better things you have posted. The clarinet sounds great.

Would I trade in my version for this one? Not a chance. However, the comparison is not very fair, as I have never heard a modern instrument version of Op. 11 with a clarinet.
        I've had a few modern versions with the clarinet, some were better than others but there is still a general sloppiness, none are in the league of the recording you have just sampled.

In any case, the performance on this recording is quite good. It seems like a good disc, but alas there are so many things to buy! Next on my list is a complete set of the Mozart Symphonies - quite an investment! I am looking at the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music set, but am not sure yet.
        Of course I would say worry about your Beethoven collection before you build up on Mozart. Hogwood's usually a pretty safe bet from my experience, nothing too bad happens. He's very good with Handel.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          Money earning that's a joke! - I can assure you I haven't earnt 1p out of it and I doubt I ever will, unless Yahoo decide on a policy of 1p a hit. Quite frankly by putting samples of rare Beethoven up we are doing the record companies a favour and they ought to be paying us for advertising!

Well, If you're getting nothing from LVB records they're getting a good deal out of you! You are right about the record companies paying us, but as your empire continues to expand you should bare in mind my comments on this matter. Anyway, what do you think of my mp3?

------------------

Comment

I have 7, and it seems pretty good. I couldn't say anything about any of the others, though, as I haven't heard them. If Rod has heard them, I'd be interested to see what he thinks of them compared to his favored Hanover Band set.
            I bought No9 some time ago. pretty good, but I prefer the sound of the Nimbus set, where you also get the Solemn Mass and a disk of overtures. But I'd be surprised if you'd be disappointed by the Hogwood set.

------------------

Comment

Working...
            X