newbie--and question, too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rod:
    Of course if Peter prefers more traditional interpretations you could supply your own recordings at this future time. I would be happy to bend the knee.....but at what cost to art!!!!!!!!

Peter prefers good interpretations full stop! - it doesn't follow that the musicianship of an artist playing on traditional instruments is automatically better than one playing on modern instruments.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      Peter prefers good interpretations full stop! - it doesn't follow that the musicianship of an artist playing on traditional instruments is automatically better than one playing on modern instruments.

Maybe so Peter, however with regard to Beethoven, the 'traditional interpretations' I mentioned are not synonymous with 'good interpretations'.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

...i can tell you my period intrument version with clarinet has genuine brio and dynamism, it knocks the socks of this Beaux Arts effort, it almost sounds like a different work...
        What can I say? I like it. And while I have greatly enjoyed the pieces we have had on the Rare Beethoven page, I must say that any purchases I would make influenced by them would almost certainly be modern instrument versions. That flute duo, for example - wonderful, I remember thinking - but how much more wonderful would it have been with modern flutes!

However, sometimes a performance will be so good that it is more important than my instrument preferences. For example, I usually perfer Mozart on period instuments, but yesterday I recieved a set of the violin concertos that I ordered from Amazon.com. They were made with modern instruments, but were so excellent that it didn't matter. They weren't played with huge orchestras, and the tempos were swift, and there was a lot about them that was "period" in nature - nevertheless, modern instuments were used; and everything came out exactly right.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 03-24-2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
          For example, I usually perfer Mozart on period instuments, but yesterday I recieved a set of the violin concertos that I ordered from Amazon.com.
          What about the LVB cd store on this site!!!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

What can I say? I like it. And while I have greatly enjoyed the pieces we have had on the Rare Beethoven page, I must say that any purchases I would make influenced by them would almost certainly be modern instrument versions. That flute duo, for example - wonderful, I remember thinking - but how much more wonderful would it have been with modern flutes!
            Well the recording was an old one, not the best period flute sound I have, but I can tell you in all honesty when you listen to authentic instruments all the time (On top of B I got virtually all of Handel's works on period instruments) you simply do not find the tone of modern instruments engaging. I recall years ago I couldn't even get half way through the first act of Messiah on modern instruments, so awful did it sound. It is the authentic movement alone that has restored Handel's place in music. I'll upload the allegro con brio of Op11 at this chain tomorrow an you can tell me what you think of it, but it won't be there for long. Of course with op11 a big problem is the absence of any 'con brio' as requested, regardless of the instruments.

However, sometimes a performance will be so good that it is more important than my instrument preferences. For example, I usually perfer Mozart on period instuments, but yesterday I recieved a set of the violin concertos that I ordered from Amazon.com. They were made with modern instruments, but were so excellent that it didn't matter. They weren't played with huge orchestras, and the tempos were swift, and there was a lot about them that was "period" in nature - nevertheless, modern instuments were used; and everything came out exactly right.

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 03-24-2002).]
            To a degree the problem can be resolved in the performance, regardless of the instruments, as I hinted at regarding op11 above. But there is not doubt the nature of modern instruments has helped lead modern performance in the wrong direction.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-24-2002).]

Comment

I also find that it sometimes depends on the instrument. Classical flutes I often have a problem with, but Classical oboes I very seldom have a problem with, for example.

In any case, I never bother with modern instruments for Handel or any Baroque music. It just doesn't sound good to my ear.

Comment

I bought it while just browsing around. Next time I shall remember to go there!

Comment

Mmm...Has this site lost its..er..'amateur status' Peter...?

------------------

Comment

Mmm...Has this site lost its..er..'amateur status' Peter...?

It aims to provide a complete Beethoven service - after all there is no point recommending cds and then suggesting people go elsewhere to other sites to buy them!

------------------
                    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-25-2002).]
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

It aims to provide a complete Beethoven service - after all there is no point recommending cds and then suggesting people go elsewhere to other sites to buy them!

I could understand if LVB were providing something usefull for this site in return. Also considering the doubtfull legality of some of our practises (eg within this chain) - this could be further compounded if by any chance you happen to be making money from the site.

------------------

Comment

I bought it while just browsing around. Next time I shall remember to go there!
                        Well, you might want to browse around a bit more if you try this track, as promised:

http://www.frameworks-city.ltd.uk/Op11.mp3Op11. First Movement</a>

The track is from the same disk as the flute duet and is an old recording (Beethoven Chamber Music, Teldec/Das Alte Werk 3984-21708-2), but the sound is much better.
                        ------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-25-2002).]

Comment

I could understand if LVB were providing something usefull for this site in return. Also considering the doubtfull legality of some of our practises (eg within this chain) - this could be further compounded if by any chance you happen to be making money from the site.

LVB does supply something useful, it provides a classical cd store! The recommended page now links directly to Beethoven products - as to the legality of our mp3s it makes no difference whether the store is there or not, the issues are not related. I don't quite see why it bothers you so much!

------------------
                          'Man know thyself'
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

- as to the legality of our mp3s it makes no difference whether the store is there or not, the issues are not related. I don't quite see why it bothers you so much!

It's true I can't see DG sending the lawyers round, but in theory if this was a commercial (money earning) site the legal ramifications of giving away free recordings are considerably greater than if was just a non profit collection of enthusuasts. I look forward to your (and anyone else's!) analysis of my free download from op11.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-25-2002).]

Comment

It's true I can't see DG sending the lawyers round, but in theory if this was a commercial (money earning) site the legal ramifications of giving away free recordings are considerably greater than if was just a non profit collection of enthusuasts. I look forward to your (and anyone else's!) analysis of my free download from op11.

Money earning that's a joke! - I can assure you I haven't earnt 1p out of it and I doubt I ever will, unless Yahoo decide on a policy of 1p a hit. Quite frankly by putting samples of rare Beethoven up we are doing the record companies a favour and they ought to be paying us for advertising!

------------------
                              'Man know thyself'
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

As to Rod's Op. 11. It is good - one of the better things you have posted. The clarinet sounds great.

Would I trade in my version for this one? Not a chance. However, the comparison is not very fair, as I have never heard a modern instrument version of Op. 11 with a clarinet.

In any case, the performance on this recording is quite good. It seems like a good disc, but alas there are so many things to buy! Next on my list is a complete set of the Mozart Symphonies - quite an investment! I am looking at the Hogwood/Academy of Ancient Music set, but am not sure yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X