Op. 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op. 17

Beethoven's Sonata for Horn and piano can be heard here as realized for Bassett Horn and Piano. It sounds good to me. Very often are the two instruments interchangeable.
    https://youtu.be/QqzaGgFUPtU
    Zevy

It sounds good to me too. In fact, I think I prefer the basset horn to the modern french horn you hear on most recordings.
    Would it be closer to the sound Beethoven would have heard in his day?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It sounds good to me too. In fact, I think I prefer the basset horn to the modern french horn you hear on most recordings.
      Would it be closer to the sound Beethoven would have heard in his day?
      No as the instrument is related to the clarinet - Mozart made the greatest use of the Basset-horn amongst classical composers with it featuring in the Magic Flute and the Requiem. I agree Michael, I prefer the sound of the Basset horn for the Beethoven sonata Op.17.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I have a fairly old recording of Beethoven's Prometheus ballet where, in one of the dance numbers, the Basset horn is used to beautiful effect.

Comment

Yes, this works very well. And I do love Mozart's use of the basset horn.

And given all the discussion about rarities going on elsewhere on the forum, I cannot help but mention the cello version of this work...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

And given all the discussion about rarities going on elsewhere on the forum, I cannot help but mention the cello version of this work...
            Yes Chris -
            I have a recording of Casals playing this; it's very nice (If you don't mind his moaning and groaning).
            Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

I've just noticed that the cello version (which I've never heard) is included in the new DGG complete edition - along with the original, of course.

This is the only site where I've found any details of the new edition. It just gives the names of the works - not the performers. It's a bit tortuous to wade through but there are multiple versions of the more important works.

https://www.klassikakzente.de/ludwig...edition-556020

Comment

Working...
              X