Lang Lang's "World Premiere"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lang Lang's "World Premiere"

I wish somebody would put Lang Lang (and DGG) right about the Minuet in C WoO 218.
    He has stated very proudly in a video (which I can't seem to locate again) that his recording in the new DGG Complete Beethoven edition is a world premiere of this piece.

Well, I bought it in a boxed CD set 12 years ago where it was listed as Biamonti 74 and I mentioned this in another thread even before I saw his video.

Of course, I could be totally demented and misled but the damn tune is so familiar to me.
    It's not such a big deal - it's not Brexit - but I find it mildly annoying.

I must stress that none of this is Beethoven's fault. He didn't even bother to publish it.

The piece can be heard in full here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEx...JVBpAU&index=1

Last edited by Michael; 09-13-2019, 12:13 AM.

I never heard this piece before - but find it in its tenderness performed very well by Lang Lang. Thank you for sharing!

From what year is the composition?

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
      I never heard this piece before - but find it in its tenderness performed very well by Lang Lang. Thank you for sharing!

From what year is the composition?
      Probably 1794 or 1795. It was found among sketches for the B flat Piano Concerto.

There are quite a number of pieces like this that have never really established themselves among Beethoven's works. They were never offered for publication and some of them have been completed by others.

I think this particular work was thematically completed by Beethoven but it still gives the impression of a first draft.

You can here more of such works here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTEx...JVBpAU&index=1

Last edited by Michael; 09-15-2019, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X