Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsche Grammophon Beethoven's 250th anniversary

New DG complete works.

Deutsche Grammophon presents all works of Ludwig van Beethoven in a new complete edition, which reaches an unprecedented completeness. The edition is in terms of artistic quality of recordings and editorial, scientific accompaniment meet the highest standards.
    The box includes the complete works Beethoven including alternative recordings on 118 CDs, plus other goodies.

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com...,2W0S5J,QMX7,1
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

I was wondering when DGG would put their best foot forward for 2020.
    I bought their 1997 "Complete" Edition within five minutes of its announcement way back in, well … 1997.

It then consisted of 87 CDs and it cost me 550 euro (or 500 pounds sterling).
    It also nearly cost me my marriage.

But it was (and still is) beautifully presented. Each volume has its own booklet and full translations are available for all the vocal works.
    I never informed my wife of the fact that I had already accumulated about 70% of its content over the years. (In different recordings, of course.)

This new edition costs about half as much but the packaging doesn't look as good.
    I have two other "complete" editions which are presented in much the same format as this new one but they lack the luxurious features of the earlier DGG set.

In this new edition I would like to know what they mean by "goodies".
    Since I first went on the internet twenty years ago, I have downloaded more unusual Beethoven than I can possibly deal with. This new set needs to have serious goodies.

A quick glance through the new contents (which are in German) reveals that it has the same Bernstein "Fidelio" as the 1997 and the piano trios, the cello sonatas, the string trios and the string quartets are the same as the 1997 edition …………..
    Look, unless they include a live recording of Beethoven's 1808 concert, I don't think I will be investing in this.

But the last thing I want to do is to put anybody off buying this new edition. However, there is a "Brilliant" edition available for half the price and some members of this forum have purchased various versions of this and have been quite pleased.

Last edited by Michael; 07-27-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I was wondering when DGG would put their best foot forward for 2020.
      I bought their 1997 "Complete" Edition within five minutes of its announcement way back in, well … 1997.
      Very interesting indeed Michael. My mom bought me the Deutsche Grammophon's "Beethoven's Complete Edition" that came out in 1970 to celebrate Beethoven's 200th birthday. My most treasured piece of that collection is the wonderful book on Beethoven that is filled with so many wonderful pictures of his life, music and surroundings.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

I also purchased the 1997 set but they were released in parts, which helped financially. I have ordered this set too as I was saving with the expectations that another complete set would be released. Sadly, not sure I can get to Munich for the 'free' concert that has been offered with Pollini.

Includes works never recorded before?
        Last edited by Fidelio; 07-27-2019, 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling error
        Fidelio

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
          Very interesting indeed Michael. My mom bought me the Deutsche Grammophon's "Beethoven's Complete Edition" that came out in 1970 to celebrate Beethoven's 200th birthday. My most treasured piece of that collection is the wonderful book on Beethoven that is filled with so many wonderful pictures of his life, music and surroundings.
          That set looks wonderful, Hollywood.
          I bought two or three of those boxed albums back in 1970 and they were beautifully produced.

A friend of mine managed to pick up the book you describe without buying any of the vinyl discs and it's a really fine volume. I get the urge to steal it every time I visit him.

Last edited by Michael; 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
            Includes works never recorded before?
            I can't imagine there can be too many "new" works in this collection. The 1997 set had a few works that had never been recorded before but not as many as they claimed.
            Three CDs on the new list are described as "World Premieres and Rarities" but no further details are given so far. "The Unheard Beethoven" website might give some clues as to what to expect in this area?

I imagine DGG/Decca might plunder the Hess numbers for incomplete piano and other works. Willy Hess went a bit mad back in the fifties and assigned catalogue numbers right left and centre to any bit of a squiggle left by Beethoven. One "work" consists of only two notes!

I have several discs full of those - some from a "complete" set that came out in 2007 and others from here and there on the internet.

I hope this new edition doesn't include results of this new fad of completing unfinished works. Some of these completions are based on a few fragments left by the composer and should not take up space in a serious collection.
            Works that are almost complete are acceptable, I think.

By the way, Fidelio, thanks for finding this. I was expecting something to come from DGG but I couldn't locate anything.

Last edited by Michael; 07-27-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

That set looks wonderful, Hollywood.
              I bought two or three of those boxed albums back in 1970 and they were beautifully produced.

A friend of mine managed to pick up the book you describe without buying any of the vinyl discs and it's a really fine volume. I get the urge to steal it every time I visit him.

Isn't the book the same as the book by Joseph Schmidt-Görg,Hans Schmidt published by the Beethoven-Archiv? You can get fairly cheap of Ebay/Amazon etc. Postage is expensive as its a big book. If it is, I have two and you are welcome to one.
              Fidelio

Comment

Originally posted by Fidelio View Post
                Isn't the book the same as the book by Joseph Schmidt-Görg,Hans Schmidt published by the Beethoven-Archiv? You can get fairly cheap of Ebay/Amazon etc. Postage is expensive as its a big book. If it is, I have two and you are welcome to one.
                Thanks so much for the information! I have tried to find it online for ages but I had no information as to the author or publisher. Now I was able to locate it (for quite a low price) on Amazon from a UK dealer and the postage is only about four euro.

So, I won't ask you to part with one of your copies but thank you for the very kind offer! Much appreciated.

Comment

You're welcome. Its a cracking book with excellent illustrations. Enjoy.
                  Fidelio

Comment

Interesting. I have a few volumes of the 1997 DG Complete Beethoven Edition - I preferred to collect my favorite recordings and then supplement those with the Complete Beethoven Edition to fill out the gaps. I agree with Michael - the presentations of those volumes was beautiful, and the new one does not look nearly as good. But then again, I buy CDs for the music, not the packaging, so if there are any new recordings worth getting in this new complete edition, I will definitely consider it.

Comment

As you say, Chris, packaging is not important (except maybe when it comes to booklets with translations). The "Brilliant" set for example is actually, well... brilliant, with very good recordings and performances, all quite sturdily packed in plain jackets.

The packaging on this new set could well be more attractive than it looks. Recent complete Bach and Mozart editions have been housed in a similar type of cube. The Mozart 225 edition looks particularly delicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6m-X0XfOOg

The 1997 Beethoven contained 87 discs but this new one runs to 117 so I imagine that a lot of alternative recordings of the more important works will be included.

Comment

Perhaps you might recall, pointing out that the Brilliant edition was on Amazon (at the time) for $25.00. I quickly purchased it and shortly the price went up to $250 or something like that. Thanks, again, for the heads up on that great deal!

But the last thing I want to do is to put anybody off buying this new edition. However, there is a "Brilliant" edition available for half the price and some members of this forum have purchased various versions of this and have been quite pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                          Perhaps you might recall, pointing out that the Brilliant edition was on Amazon (at the time) for $25.00. I quickly purchased it and shortly the price went up to $250 or something like that. Thanks, again, for the heads up on that great deal!
                          I remember that, Sorrano. You got in there at the right time.
                          The most recent Brilliant edition is now about 93 euro or 103 dollars on Amazon and it's still excellent value.

Comment

I remember that, Sorrano. You got in there at the right time.
                            The most recent Brilliant edition is now about 93 euro or 103 dollars on Amazon and it's still excellent value.
                            Indeed! I've enjoyed this edition very much over the past few years. Thanks, again!

Comment

Speaking of prices, this is the page where the new Beethoven edition is advertised.
                              Look at the second item which seems to be just a vinyl set of the symphonies.
                              Unless I'm reading it wrongly, it costs 950 euro!

https://store.deutschegrammophon.com...iWRPskk0J8u79M

Comment

Working...
                              X